cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I pay my rent with a card and get points?

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: How can I pay my rent with a card and get points?

Buying a money order regardless of where is CASH ADVANCE!

The only thing I can think of is asking your landlord to accept Amazon Payments, which does allow you to use credit card without being charged as cash advance or interchange fee.

@MustangSaluki wrote:

williampaid.com lets you pay the rent with your cc for a nominal fee (2.95%). It is the most popular service among FlyerTalkers and comes highly recommended. We have been using it for last few months and pretty happy with. Regret about not knowing this earlier actually.

Which cancels out any reward since 2.95% beats 1% or 2% return from credit card. In the end it costs you more money to pay rent.

Message 11 of 32
ceejx
Established Contributor

Just to add to this, some of the more nationwide/corporate property management places do allow you to make credit card payments without fees. Equity Residential / Equity Apartments is one... I lived there when I had bad credit, now that I have points cards I unfortunately don't live there anymore Smiley Sad  Back then I paid $1550/mo for rent, which would have giving me at least $186 back a year... oh well

Message 12 of 32
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@seigex wrote:

Just to add to this, some of the more nationwide/corporate property management places do allow you to make credit card payments without fees. Equity Residential / Equity Apartments is one... I lived there when I had bad credit, now that I have points cards I unfortunately don't live there anymore Smiley Sad  Back then I paid $1550/mo for rent, which would have giving me at least $186 back a year... oh well

They incorporate fee into the rent. So paying with cash actually cost more since you do not get to recover 1 to 2% of interchange fee.

Message 13 of 32
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Buying a money order regardless of where is CASH ADVANCE!

The only thing I can think of is asking your landlord to accept Amazon Payments, which does allow you to use credit card without being charged as cash advance or interchange fee.

@MustangSaluki wrote:

williampaid.com lets you pay the rent with your cc for a nominal fee (2.95%). It is the most popular service among FlyerTalkers and comes highly recommended. We have been using it for last few months and pretty happy with. Regret about not knowing this earlier actually.

Which cancels out any reward since 2.95% beats 1% or 2% return from credit card. In the end it costs you more money to pay rent.

it may not be the best return but sure comes in handy for meeting spending and is a great alternative to cach/check in several other situations. Also for $5 more WilliamPaid can report to the CRAs, I believe as an Installment loan (not sure of this yet). Bottom lime this service has definite use.for some.

Message 14 of 32
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

it may not be the best return but sure comes in handy for meeting spending and is a great alternative to cach/check in several other situations. Also for $5 more WilliamPaid can report to the CRAs, I believe as an Installment loan (not sure of this yet). Bottom lime this service has definite use.for some.

FICO Expansion score mentioned by WilliamPaid is actually useless (virtually no lender use it, even worse than VantageScore). FICO score that lenders actually DO use ignores rental TL from WilliamPaid.

Furthermore, it gets reported to PRBC, not your EQ/EX/TU. Sometime utility companies might use PRBC, but I know no lender use PRBC.

Message 15 of 32
LilNYC
New Contributor

I never heard of Williampaid before. Anyone know if it can be setup as a recurring charge on your cc? If so, it would count as bill pay category with US Bank cash+.  5% back-2.95% fee=2.05% cash back. Would be reason enough to app for US bank & pay rent thru williampaid, if this scenario is feasible.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 16 of 32
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

I never heard of Williampaid before. Anyone know if it can be setup as a recurring charge on your cc? If so, it would count as bill pay category with US Bank cash+.  5% back-2.95% fee=2.05% cash back. Would be reason enough to app for US bank & pay rent thru williampaid, if this scenario is feasible.

You have to call in and ask, although I suspect WilliamPaid use 8999 (professional service) as MCC (defines what type of transaction for Visa/MC).

I don't recall MCC has a code for rent.

Message 17 of 32
LilNYC
New Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@LilNYC wrote:

You have to call in and ask, although I suspect WilliamPaid use 8999 (professional service) as MCC (defines what type of transaction for Visa/MC).

I don't recall MCC has a code for rent.

Thanks for the info.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 18 of 32
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

My renter does online but only ACH, they said they are looking into doing it for cc but we'll see.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 32
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@seigex wrote:

man thats over 900 cash back if you had a Cash+ just on bill payments, not quite sure if it would qualify under their requirements but would be sweet.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.