Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How common are balance transfers?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

How common are balance transfers?

I've been wondering about the point of balance transfers. Most balance transfers cost at least 3%, and if you're carrying a large balance you'd have a small chance of being approved for a large limit and low interest card. But I frankly don't know. I don't carry a balance on any of my cards, and I wonder if many of us here actually do balance transfers and find them worth the transfer fees.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: How common are balance transfers?

@HiLine wrote:

I've been wondering about the point of balance transfers. Most balance transfers cost at least 3%, and if you're carrying a large balance you'd have a small chance of being approved for a large limit and low interest card. But I frankly don't know. I don't carry a balance on any of my cards, and I wonder if many of us here actually do balance transfers and find them worth the transfer fees.

BT's are very common to get out of hight interest debt and pay a small fee to pay it down on 0% terms. Most of time if your declined for a good BT card a simple recon explaining your intent with the card will help in getting approval.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 29
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I did my first one ever a couple of months ago, needed a couple of months to pay off a hotel charge for 3k, and the interest would have been more than the 75$ fee.  Capital one gave me 0% for 14 months, it's only been a couple of months and I have the money to pay it off sitting in my savings account now but I would rather hold onto it for a while  since it's 0% for another 12 months.  my utilization is still below 10% so i'm not worried about it 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 29
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol Im a sucker for bts! Especially with those checks they send! Also, 0% on purchases is convenient too.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 29
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

NFCU BT's are awesome especially during their promo times!

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

Thanks for your responses you guys! Once the 0% interest promotional period ends do you still use the card for balance transfers or do you put it in your sock drawer? Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Thanks for your responses you guys! Once the 0% interest promotional period ends do you still use the card for balance transfers or do you put it in your sock drawer? Smiley Tongue

Sock drawer or product change.

On business cards, we've used 0% for the time period only making minimum payments, then pay off the balloon payment at the end.  This allows us to use a signficant portion of the capital without incurring interest on the money.  These promos costs less than using the Business LOC.

Message 7 of 29
Dustink
Valued Contributor

My mother was in need of a balance transfer. She applied for and was approved for a Chase Slate. The limit was more than she needed and it had no transfer fee and a decent interest free period.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 8 of 29
HiLine
Blogger

Since it is apparent that people get balance transfer credit cards just to take advantage of the 0% APR promotional period, these cards must be hugely unprofitable for the creditors....  Or am I missing something?

Message 9 of 29
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Since it is apparent that people get balance transfer credit cards just to take advantage of the 0% APR promotional period, these cards must be hugely unprofitable for the creditors....  Or am I missing something?

That's why most will charge a fee to do the balance transfer. The highest I have seen is 5%, though this fee used to be capped at like $75. I am sure that there are also people who don't pay it off before the 0% runs out and end up starting to pay interest. I have never done a balance trasnfer and reckon I won't unless it's no fee and no interest and can be deposited into a savings account.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.