Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do CCs react to Balance Transfers?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

How do CCs react to Balance Transfers?

I know many CCs love it when you transfer balances to their card, but how does it work the other way?  I’m giving some thought to transferring my Barclay balance to another card to take advantage of a BT offer I got.  The Barclay card has my highest rate and no rewards.  However, it does have a nice limit and I don’t want them to be closed.  I know Barclays can be a little unpredictable when it comes to closing accounts.  But what’s the general rule of thumb regarding accounts whose balances were transferred away?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do CCs react to Balance Transfers?

Don't apply for a credit card and request a balance transfer at the same time with AMEX.

They tend to frown upon those who revolve balances month to month wihout paying down their balances other than the minimum payments.

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 10
parakleet
Valued Contributor

There's a recent thread about the T&C for Barclays requires a purchase every 3 months or so to avoid account closure. But that wouldn't stop me from doing a BT if it was going to save me money. If Barclays shuts you down because you did a BT to another cc to save some interest that you'd be otherwise paying to them, I'd say you're better off.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 3 of 10
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

Don't apply for a credit card and request a balance transfer at the same time with AMEX.

They tend to frown upon those who revolve balances month to month wihout paying down their balances other than the minimum payments.

Thanks but I'm not interested in a new card.  I have a BT offer on an existing card and that's why I'm thinking aobut moving. 

Message 4 of 10
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@GaTech wrote:

Thanks but I'm not interested in a new card.  I have a BT offer on an existing card and that's why I'm thinking aobut moving. 

Calculate how much the Balance transfer fee is (if they're charging you one), and then see if it benefits you Smiley Happy good luck!

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 5 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Can you have the BT put directly in your bank account.  Citi issues checks that you can write to yourself, or you can do the BT online and have it transferred directly to your bank.  Then you can write Barclay's a check to pay off your balance and they won't know you did a BT.  I don't know if they would care one way or the other, but that is an option if you're concerned about it.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
Anam
Established Member

@GaTech wrote:

It really depends...

I moved good amounts through my AMEX with initial credit line of 2000. I would always pay in full. Next card I applied to they gave me a 2000 limit as well. Later on I was able to bump both of those cards but it took some time.

Now my friend with 3x less income got the same card (BCE) with the same limit. Charged it to around 1500 and then put it on autopay for minimum while it's at 0%. Next AMEX card he applied for got him a 6000 credit limit (he also waited less before he apped for his second card compared to me). He also charged a bunch of stuff on that one and put it on minimum autopay. Then later AMEX bumped his BCE to 4000.

I was not amused... Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Can you have the BT put directly in your bank account.  Citi issues checks that you can write to yourself, or you can do the BT online and have it transferred directly to your bank.  Then you can write Barclay's a check to pay off your balance and they won't know you did a BT.  I don't know if they would care one way or the other, but that is an option if you're concerned about it.

I find this method to be protentially dangerous. Some people will end up using the BT funds for other things and not pay the creditor they intended to pay. The direct pay is always the best method...at least to me anyway..

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 10
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

That's the only way for me. Once they know, they won't forget.

Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would be more concerned about money savings over rather Barclay will take the oppurtunity to CLD you.

Keep in mind Barclay is keeping track of your overall debt... and watching it from time of approval onward... so if the debt isn't going up or if it goes up and you are paying it down, I wouldn't worry.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.