Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do credit cards apply returns

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do credit cards apply returns

Please forgive me if this is not the right place to ask this.   And if not, could someone direct me to an appropriate site?     

Anyhow...  here's my situation/question (btw, this is in regards to an Amazon Chase credit card). 

At the close of my October Statement (10/31/2019), i had the following balance

• $600 in interest accruing charges 
  • $200 in 0% APR Promotion Charge (due in August) of which I need to pay a minimum balance of $20

So a total balance of $800 of which I have to pay $620 to avoid interest ($600 interest acruing + $20 minimum payment on Promo)

November 1st started the new monthly statement cycle and I had the following activity: 

• Nov 5th, I made a purchase for $400
  • Nov 10th, I made another purchase for $300
  • Nov 12th, I returned the first purchase -$400
  • Nov 20th, I made my payment for the October Statement of $620
  • Nov 30th billing period closes. 

Now, I expected to have a total balance of $480

• $300 in new interest accruing charges ($400 + $300 - $400)
  • $180 left in the 0% Promo ($200 from Oct - $20 Minimm Payment). 

Of which, I only expected to have to pay $320 to avoid interest ($300 + $20 Minimum)

However, what I wound up having was $480 in interest accruing charges and nothing left in the 0% Pomo.  

I spoke with the credit card company and they told me what happened, is that Returns are counted as Payments to the previous billing cycle.   So I actually made a payment of $1020 instead of $620 (My $620 + $400 Return).     So of the "$1020 Payment" they applied $600 to my October interest accruing balance and $200 to the 0% APR promotion October balance and the remaining $220 carried over to the November Statement.   

Does this seem right? (Legal?)   An extra $180 isn't going to break the bank, but what if it was a promo for $5000 and I made a $5000 return?   That would be a lot of money to shell out unexpectadly and it's not like I can just not return something that's defective. 

Thanks all for any help/advice!! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: How do credit cards apply returns

Somewhere in your Teems & Conditions it spelled out how this scenario would play out (the fine print has virtually any possible scenario spelled out).

For the reason you mentioned ($5,000 promo, with $5k return) is one of the reasons you have to be careful when spending on an account with an active promotional rate.

It is recommended by many if you are floating a 0% apr, you shouldn't be using the card for any additional purchases or BT's.
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info.  I couldn't find anything about this situation anywhere.   I'm going to have to read my cardmember agreement.   But honestly, it just seems like an unfair practice - and logically doesn't make sense.  But what can you do, right? 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Programs like Plan It or Flex Pay were meant to allow cardholders to use the card to carry a 0% (or low-interest) promo while still using the card for PIF monthly cycles. They specify how payments are applied, but adding returns into the mix requires an expert on the particular program, which a CSR might be the best to answer that. And your card agreement might also specify. 

But if you are dealing with a 0% BT, then I wouldn't use the card for purchases. Sounds like you have one of those Plan It type of situations and it got complex due to returns. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.