Did you mean: 

How do you feel about Quicksilver?

tag
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: How do you feel about Quicksilver?

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

Looking for opinions on the Capital One Quicksilver. Not the QS1, the regular one. From what i understand its a visa signature? At one time this was my goal card. I applied for it 1 year ago and was denied. 

I guess I'm curious peoples experience with this card and if they love it, hate it or maybe neither? I dont have any capital one cards except my CO backed Kohls card....Also, I cant find alot of DP's on approvals for this card either.

Any input would be great. Was thinking of maybe applying in November but not sure if I will get approved.

Cap1 has been excellent to me and it's obvious that they have invested in their consumer facing technology. In addition to its top notch app, the rewards post quickly and has no minimum redemption threshold. 

Want to redeem a paltry $0.17 from a purchase three days ago?  Yup easy.

With most other issuers, there is a whole statement cycle before your points get updated.  Plus, you need to reach the minimum threshold of $25 which annoys me vs. Cap1's fast and flexible options.

Don"t worry about "losing out" on 0.5% from a possible 2% card stop you from apping for the QS which is a MasterCard.

Message 71 of 83
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Convenience is nice, but if it's hard to reach $25 in rewards with a card, it's worth considering whether you're spreading your spend too thinly.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 72 of 83
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Convenience is nice, but if it's hard to reach $25 in rewards with a card, it's worth considering whether you're spreading your spend too thinly.

True. But my time frame is one to three months...

Message 73 of 83
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

SImple card, simple rewards, reliable lender (imho). My Quicksilver card is my emergency card...$31,750 limit...put a couple small things on it a month. Had it for quite a few years...Cap1 has never closed an account or reduced my limits ever.

Message 74 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Some of us don't have a ton of spend. The only monthly obligations I have are a $160 grocery budget, $140 for internet, and a $60 cell bill. Everything else is extra (and arguably wasteful) and mostly consists of Amazon so goes on my Amazon Store Card. It takes me months to hit $25 on my BCP and ClearPoints cards. I don't really care but it is an issue that's there. I want to move my internet and phone to my AOD card but I'm trying to hit that $25 redemption point so I can cash out first. 

Message 75 of 83
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

@Anonymous I don't have a ton of spend either. It's It' more than what you listed but I don't spend thousands a month like others do. Not on CC's anyway

Message 76 of 83
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

Me too, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Personally, I swipe the credit card and let Mastercard or Visa take care of it. If I need cash, I use my Charles Schwab debit card at an ATM. I never exchange actual cash.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 77 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

No fuss, no muss...

QS holds one of three slots in my card holder, the other two are AMEX cards.

It is a WEMC started at 5k, where it currently sits. The SL is far more than I'll ever use in this card.  

Message 78 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

IMO, it now would take a lot for a 1.5% card to be preferable to a 2+% card these days.    Basically, a 2% card offers 33% more rewards (which is huge!) and a 3% card gives 100% more.     People argue that the actual monetary difference isn't great for most people, but to me that raises another issue: if the reward amount is so small that increasing it by a third doesn't matter, then the rewards are not worth worrying about anyway, and claimed advantages such as immediate access to rewards as they post cannot be significant.

So for me, with the PPMC (no min, no FTF, but do have to wait for statement close) , and AOD for those that have it, the QS day is done!

Message 79 of 83
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

IMO, it now would take a lot for a 1.5% card to be preferable to a 2+% card these days.    Basically, a 2% card offers 33% more rewards (which is huge!) and a 3% card gives 100% more.     People argue that the actual monetary difference isn't great for most people, but to me that raises another issue: if the reward amount is so small that increasing it by a third doesn't matter, then the rewards are not worth worrying about anyway, and claimed advantages such as immediate access to rewards as they post cannot be significant.

So for me, with the PPMC (no min, no FTF, but do have to wait for statement close) , and AOD for those that have it, the QS day is done!

A bit of a lost variable here is the friendliness of these cards with regards to BKs.

Thanks to the Great Recession and the current economic fallout of the the pandemic, many folks are looking for no-hassle credit options that are available to good people who fell on hard times.

Prime cards are all well and good, but they largely make ZERO exceptions for folks who fall into that category through no fault of their own. With rare exceptions, Amex, Citi, BOA, Chase, Wells, Discover and many credit unions either offer largely secured cards (and only after a good bit of time has passed) several years after discharge or don't offer products to those folks at all.

Cap 1, by comparison, welcomes the BK affected with open arms almost immediately and gives them a card with a small AF and unlimited 1.5% rewards on EVERYTHING.

So yeah, there are options that pay better rewards, but those aren't necessarily BETTER options for the millions of people who are clawing their way back from the depths of economic ruin. As with all things credit, YMMV seems apropos here.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 80 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.