Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before combining Chase limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long before combining Chase limits?

Got CSP approved on Wednesday Oct 9, 2019. Had the Slate since January of 2019. How long should I wait before combining them? If such a wait is even neccessary....Thanks.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long before combining Chase limits?

Only takes as long as it takes to send them a secure message online and then to have it done.

Now, the big thing to make sure happens is your bonus requirements.... 

So, what I would do is:

hit the bonus requirements,

move the limit from CSP to Slate,

then convert the Slate to a CSP to retain the history

(this part might take a little while to process before they can convert the card over)

ETA: since I don't know your 5/24 status or plans.... 

Drop the CSP during the CL shuffle to whatever remaining amount they state has to stay on it

Keep it open but as another Chase product like CF / CFU 

--- I do this when I have leftovers w/ Chase, I call it parking a card for future use

-- If you go over 5/24 you'll still have a card you can convert if you're not eligible to open a new one 

Message 2 of 26
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

I agree with this approach.

Message 3 of 26
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Only takes as long as it takes to send them a secure message online and then to have it done.

So, what I would do is:

hit the bonus requirements,

move the limit from CSP to Slate,

then convert the Slate to a CSP to retain the history

(this part might take a little while to process before they can convert the card over)

Why just not convert the Slate to Chase Freedom family card to retain history? Then after that, move limits via SM if needed.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a 1000 ways to skin a CC w/ Chase.  It depends on how you want to use them and where you want the spend to be.  

For longevity's sake moving the CL to Slate and converting it to CSP and the CSP that's new to something else protects it longer term if it doesn't see much use w/ the CSP spend being the priority.

If OP neglects the Slate for a long period of time it will just close out eventually due to non-renewal.  

Message 5 of 26
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Got it. I was thinking it was a bit more complicated than needed adding that extra step but I understand your reasoning now. If proceeding with that step, are there any potential issues converting the new CSP to a Freedom or FU given they are at both intro 0% APR? (CARD act rules)

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

Got it. I was thinking it was a bit more complicated than needed adding that extra step but I understand your reasoning now. If proceeding with that step, are there any potential issues converting the new CSP to a Freedom or FU given they are at both intro 0% APR? (CARD act rules)

I wouldn't think so.  Moving things around are easy.... but you do bring up a snafu of sorts.... 0% periods and such.  This move / shuffle to the extent that I mapped out might have to wait until intro on the Slate is up.... in the meantime it could probably be converted to something else like CF/CFU until the CSP is also out of intro periods and restrictions as well.  After those expire though the mapped out method would be preferred if the CSP is a keeper for long term use.

Shuffling limits though as it stands..... can be done once the cards are activated normally w/o any additional requirements.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Got CSP approved on Wednesday Oct 9, 2019. Had the Slate since January of 2019. How long should I wait before combining them? If such a wait is even neccessary....Thanks.

I started out with the Slate, then got the Freedom. Even after a year with both, they wouldn't move the limit from the Slate. Anyways, fast forward to this past September, they finally agreed to move the limit and I later learned that the Slate needed to have no activity on it for at least 2 months, including payment activity. Even with the combination, my limit is only 3700. Not even enough to get another, more useful card. The Freedom is now my second lowest limit card... If it weren't for the bonus categories, I'd put it on permanent SD status.

Message 8 of 26
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

How do combined credit cards show on credit reports?  Does the one getting absorbed just disappear as it never existed?  Or does it show as closed by consumer/grantor as it got canceled?  

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FieryDance wrote:

How do combined credit cards show on credit reports?  Does the one getting absorbed just disappear as it never existed?  Or does it show as closed by consumer/grantor as it got canceled?  

Depends on if you move 100% and close the donor card.  You can opt to keep usually as low as $500 on the donor to keep it open / parked for later use.

If you opt to do 100% and close then it shows CLOSED on your report.  It doesn't magically go away or anything.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.