cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait until next CC application if I would like to have as many cards as possible?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: How to apply as much credit cards as possible without overly hurting the scores?

Don’t collect cards just for the sake of it. There are diminishing returns in terms of credit boost and also rewards the more cards you add. I think for everyday spending most people should focus on using 1-3 cards to reap the most benefit. Beyond that you just lose a lot of the benefit because it is so diluted.

Also lenders aren’t taking kindly to aggressive credit seeking lately so tread lightly. Most consumers don’t open many new cards. You don’t want to stick out.
Message 11 of 27
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: How to apply as much credit cards as possible without overly hurting the scores?

The fact that you even asked this question worries me.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure you are a stand up person, but the credit card issuers may not see your behavior that way. I mean, if I were an issuer and saw someone opening 9 cards in one year with only 1% utilization, my ears would perk up.

Again, not saying this is you, but that pattern is exactly what happened to my cousin when her identity was stolen. Someone was opening cards, and keeping them in good standing until they had a large enough balance to really rack up. CC issuers are pretty wary of things like that now. I'd just hold off for a year or so.

Unrelated end to story- My cousin caught the fraud at Macy's one day when she went to open a card and found her SS# was already linked to one. Weirdly they wouldn't let her access or close it because it wasn't her signature, and back then police really didn't investigate that sort of thing much. When the lady doing it was caught it turned out she had 9 cards in my cousin's name, and dozens of others from different people. They were found in her car after she crashed during a police chase.

Message 13 of 27
Kforce
Valued Contributor

My credit card collection.

30 years after the first.

Message 14 of 27
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Kforce wrote:

Slacker! 

Message 15 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

Point?

Message 16 of 27
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I have applied around 9 credit cards last year, around 1 card monthly. I put one month between each application. Since I will be moving soon, I think it will be harder for my future card applications because credit card companies are sensitive to address change(I guess?). So I just want to apply for more before my move. Currently I have BBVA clearpoints, Discover, HSBC Gold, Amex Blue cash everyday, Amex Cash magnet that are pre-approved but I have not decided which to apply next yet. One more factor to consider is I might have to apply for privat student loans this year so I am aware of my scores. My current Fico 8 score is 715. Utilization 1%. Currently has 5 hard inquiries. 10 year history. Or, I might apply for auto loan......but most likely I will not apply for external loans if my current student loans can sustain. Let me know what are your thoughts Smiley Happy

Just open multiple tabs in your browser and submit all the apps you want.  Your scores will be just fine; you might even get a bump in your socres.

Maize did your account get hacked? 

Was that /sarcasm?

LOL

Or how could that work? 

Message 17 of 27
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

I believe it was a large dose of sarcasm

Community Leader
   Senior Contributor

Yes and proud of it

Community Leader
  Super Contributor

Less is more and a picture is worth a thousand words

Message 18 of 27
rbentley
Established Contributor

I read a recent article on those who had perfect 850 FICO scores.  The vast majority of them only had 3 open cards and an installment loan.  They did have on average, three closed cards. 

You are not showing you have ability to handle credit merely by having dozens of open credit cards.  You are depressing your scores with inquiries and reducing your AAoA and AoYA.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kforce took the brutalist approach to establish credit.
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.