Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many cards?

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

How many cards?

Just curious to see how many cards everybody likes/wants to have. I know how fun applying for new cards can be, but personally I would love to have only 2 or 3 so I could get good use out of all of them. It bothers me having cards that get minimal use. I want to get a good gas card and then trim down my others. (I currently have 5.)

What do you think? Do you like simplicity or do you enjoy maximizing rewards and using several different cards for everything? 

Let’s hear the opinions! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
40 REPLIES 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: How many cards?

Le sigh...
Message 2 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
Le sigh...

Hey, as a new CL you need to adjust.   Try "What an interesting novel question.  Can't wait to hear all the responses!"

Message 3 of 41
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I like simplicity. The more cards you have and spend on, the more your benefits are just diluted to the point where IMO it becomes not really worthwhile. 5 cards is basically my max. Beyond that I find I reap little benefit. YMMV

Message 4 of 41
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I like simplicity. The more cards you have and spend on, the more your benefits are just diluted to the point where IMO it becomes not really worthwhile. 5 cards is basically my max. Beyond that I find I reap little benefit. YMMV

+ 1

Message 5 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It partly depends on attitude, whether you view the whole credit card thing as an enjoyable activity, or you just want to invest as little time as possible while still reaping some of the benefits.

For those "collectors", if you can stay on top of it, basically the more cards the merrier!    That card that gives 2.2% on bulk milk purchases in Grand Forks on the third Thursday in Feb:  never know when that might be useful!   Just use the card that maximizes the benefit per transaction and plan to earn enough so that dilution doesn't matter.

Bonus chasers are another category that will have more cards than most, even if they regularly close some.

Personally I think a small number is best: I have too many and will let the issuers close as they will.   That said, like the imaginary Grand Forks card, a sleeper card can suddenly be useful.   I very very rarely use my ebates card, maybe once every two years, but one time on the day I was looking for a new laptop, they had a one day offer, and I got ~ $250 back.   But such things are rare.

Message 6 of 41
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I find some advantages in focusing on AF travel cards with big bonuses:

1. An annual fee serves as an incentive/reminder for me to closely examine the value of a card within my overall reward strategy.

2. When a card ceases to be worthwhile, I can close it and quit while I'm ahead by a lot. I couldn't say the same if I was building an empire of no-AF 3% category cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 41
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

+ 1

+2

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 41
redpat
Senior Contributor

This is sort of Goldielocks territory, "This many seems too much, this many seems too few and this many is just right".

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 41
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Want to spice up the thread !

Fun math for cashback cards and cost spending 10 minutes a month for each cards management and review.

I figure 2 or 3 times logging in a month, checking each account is a my average. (YMMV)

Calculating 50% of monthly income on cards, and # of cards to hit each % rank. (YMMV)

Ideal # between 3-6 cards. (If you value your time)

Money_Time.png

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.