Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should I use the cards?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

How often should I use the cards?

I have several tradelines and I can not spend on all of them to keep every one happy. How often should I each card to keep them active? Once every 3 months is it ok? How often do you use the cards you dont have much use for?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: How often should I use the cards?

@Red1Blue wrote:
I have several tradelines and I can not spend on all of them to keep every one happy. How often should I each card to keep them active? Once every 3 months is it ok? How often do you use the cards you dont have much use for?
Some places are giving AA for low usage, even if you do make token purchases every month or two.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Concord,

I think it might vary, to some degree, by card issuer. I think some will be more tolerant of long layoffs, while others-- not so much. Which ones are you concerned about, specifically?

I guess, as a general rule, don't go longer than three months. Although, some might not be that tolerant even. I'm guessing that you've already utilized all of the monthly recurring bills and contributions (utilities, insurance, cell phone(s), charitable donations, membership fees, subscriptions, etc...) that you could use to stick on the cards for activity? 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on the issuer. I know people with store cards that go six months to a year without using them and they actually recieve CLI's. I would never go more than a month or two with any HSBC product from what I have read though. I use my HSBC/Orchard every month. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lately I've had this problem too. I pulled my EQ yesterday and got a pretty big ding for having 6 of 11 accounts report a balance. So I need to have only a couple CCs report, yet I need to use them all. Paying them all off before the statement drops is getting to be too much juggling for me. I don't want to threadjack, but does anyone know how these issuers handle some SD time?

HSBC Best Buy (I know I need to do this every 3 months)

Chase

BoA

Citi

USBank (I think they're fine with a long hiatus)

Kohl's

BP

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.