Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should i use my best buy store card to keep it active

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often should i use my best buy store card to keep it active

My gf has a BB card that she hasn't used in over a year. We ran her report yesterday and it shows it's still active. I'm going to advise her to use it so that she can keep it open. But not sure if that 3 month inactivity closes the account cause she hasn't used it for a LONG TIME.

Message 11 of 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

to err on the side of caution these days, many of us prefer to make semi-regular (small) purchases at least, but yes some customers are untouched for several months or even years. so long as you are aware that it is a chance to take. 

the new motto in this crunch is 'use it or lose it' since we are still hearing reports of surprise closures on some accts. with some issuers (like hsbc) with just a few months of nonuse.

@Anonymous wrote:

My gf has a BB card that she hasn't used in over a year. We ran her report yesterday and it shows it's still active. I'm going to advise her to use it so that she can keep it open. But not sure if that 3 month inactivity closes the account cause she hasn't used it for a LONG TIME.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I'm going to buy a DVD on with her card and tell her it's for her own good =)
Message Edited by FicoHound007 on 03-16-2009 07:32 AM
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think even thought the CCC might not consider the card "inactive", that it can stop factoring into your CR and score after 3 months of non-use.  I've gotten the "Recently used an account that was inactive" SW alert after charging on a card that hadn't been used in 3 months.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.