Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Obtain WM Discover (Updated)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to Obtain WM Discover

I got my WM card in 8/2010 and was finally offered the upgrade in May of this year.  I started with a $100 cl and did the every 4 month increase until I reached $2000.  When they upgraded me my limit increased to $2500.  I maxed it out one time but balance transferred it, other than that I put about 100-200 a month and PIF.  Keep in mind that if you do get offered the Discover version you lose your history on the WM store card and the WM Discover is opened as a new account.  If you dont mind the new account then take it when its offered since you can use it anywhere and WM has good financing deals.  Good luck to you Smiley Happy and I'm sure you'll hear something soon. 

Message 11 of 19
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Re: How to Obtain WM Discover

I called the GE underwriting number. Got a nice guy who asked me how he could help. I said that he could help by upgrading my Walmart card to Discover. He said sure thing...I'm like OMG this is awesome!! Then he asked me how much money I needed for an increase. I was like I didn't request an increase. He said I would have to reapply online for the Walmart Discover. I pulled up the application and read him the clause about how GE will decide which card you maybe approved for and will be considered first for the Discover. He said well I don't know then let me get someone in CS. He transfered me. I think get this:

Hello Sir May I know your name (I fought hard not to say something because she then asked may I know your address) OMG she needed a tip that here in America we say what is your name not may I know your name. Anyway same run around you have to reapply. I said well I didn't have to reapply for my Gap card and I currently hold a Gap Visa. What gives. She said well I can transfer you to my manager who will just tell you the same thing. I agreed but after listening to their horrible on hold music and being hungy I decided to hang up. 2 years with the card no chance for upgrades with a CL of $4150 which tells you that I indeed use the card. GE can be bull headed sometimes I tell ya, but love the CLI love every 4 months!!

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 12 of 19
OneStepFurther
Established Member

Re: How to Obtain WM Discover (Updated)

I accidentally got two WM store cards in Jan and Feb 2011 with CL of 700 and 800.  I called the UWs a couple of months ago to request increases.  When he asked how much I told him I wanted $5000 because I wanted to try and get it converted to the Discover.  It was approved (went from $1100 to $5000).  The other one which was at 1500 at the time remained the same. Maybe because I had just received an increase to $1500 the month prior.  After the $5000 was approved, he transferred me to someone "in that dept" to see if they could do the conversion for me.  That person (who was American) told me that it wasn't customer initiated and that I'd have to reapply in the store. She told me there wasn't any other way. 

Well, I didn't try, but a few weeks ago, I got letters in the mail (for each acct) congratulating me on the conversion of both cards, and that I should receive the cards in 60 days, which I'm figuring will be around mid Nov. I just have to call them when I get it.  So for me, it was at about 20 months, and apparently your CL doesn't have anything to do with it, nor does PIF or using the card a lot in my case. 

(shrugging shoulders) Sorry I can't give you an answer.  It beats me how/why/when it happens.

Message 13 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Have you EVER missed a pmt? Or have lower than 'prime' FICOs?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 19
laboi_22
Established Contributor

NEVER missed a payment. Never. No baddies whatsoever Never even had a baddie. My FICOs are listed below. My updated Walmart FICO came out yesterday. This is the free Walmart TU FICO it was 788.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 15 of 19
JonStur
Established Contributor

Had my card for about 13 months and received the upgrade offer a little over a month ago. I initially was approved for the Discover  but opted for the store card because I didnt care about their version of the Discover card. It honestly almost looks like they offer the upgrade randomly to people who would qualify for a "regular" Discover Card...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 16 of 19
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I'm curious as to how soon I get an offer. They originally denied me for the wm discover and just gave me the store card. I use it pretty heavy. Two weeks ago, I got approved for the Sam's Discover which is by GE too for 1800.00 (3x's my walmart limit), then I called and got cli on all my ge cards so I'm kinda confused as to why I didn't get the wm discover in the first place. Cat Surprised

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 17 of 19
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

I'm curious to know how many folks the the Discover version have an actual Discover card as well.  Maybe those with the store card that don't have a Discover card are getting denied because of this>  I don't know but I think it's silly that you have to re apply for an upgrade.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 18 of 19
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

I'm curious to know how many folks the the Discover version have an actual Discover card as well.  Maybe those with the store card that don't have a Discover card are getting denied because of this>  I don't know but I think it's silly that you have to re apply for an upgrade.

The Walmart version of the Discover Card is a co-branded card, not an actual Discover card. It's handled by GE and from what I was told by Discover when I applied for my More card, one has nothing to do with the other.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.