Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a Capital One CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get a Capital One CLI

Hi all. I'm new to posting but I've been lurking and learning a ton from the wisdom of this forum. I app'ed for a CLI from CO and got the 2-day deal instead of an approval. My understanding is that the 2-day is a denial, so I went ahead and contacted them via Facebook to request to speak to an account executive. 

I took this approach based on a monster thread here title 'How to get a PC or CLI from Capital One'. Now, I did the FB thing and CO's FB team basically ignored my request by sending me a PM with basically a rote response. It was an article about how to get a CLI from CO's website.

I also saw that some people had success emailing the CEO, but I am unsure if that email is still accurate since the thread where I got this information from is old and that email may no longer be accurate. Especially because I know quite a few members from this forum used it, and some posters came back saying that they got no response going that route.

Is there another strategy that can be used to speak to an account executive? Is there a new email address? The only route I havent gone is to call directly because the CSR's seems to be the least effective route.

My FICO cs's are 708 EX, 721 TU, and 662 EQ and I've been a customer with them for a year this month. 100% on time payments and I pay more than the minimum payment. I was in the Credit Steps program and began with a secured card. Then they gave me an auto-CLI after 6 months. They also upgraded me to the QS last month. I feel like I'm due for a CLI since both my AMEX and Discover have 5,000 SL. Any help would be appreciated!!

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to get a Capital One CLI

From what you posted, it sounds like you have a starter or rebuilding Cap1 card, which means you are bucketed in a lower tier. (I’m not taking into account utility, derogs etc bc you didn’t mention them). 

This card will more than likely not grow into a big limit.

To bypass this bucket, you should app for the QS, Savor, Venture1 or Venture. Check to see if you are pre-approved for any of those. 

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I forgot to mention those. Utilization is at 8.9% and no derogs. AAOA is 5 years.

I understand that CO has me in a lower tier despite my relatively good credit. They already gave me a QS, so obviously they think I deserve some type of reward, but why not a CLI?

I'm preparing to get a mortgage this summer, so I do not want to app for another card at this time. I just want them to increase the limit on this one.
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have an upgraded QS....which means it’s still in the lower tier as your initial card. I understand preparing for a mortgage, but there isn’t any fool proof way to get a CLI especially on a beginner card with Cap1. 

Good luck! 

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

What reason did they give you for the denial of a CLI?

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

When was your auto CLI? You have to wait 6 full months after the last CLI and I believe that applies to auto CLIs, being bucketed aside.
Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

They haven't officially denied me yet. My understanding is that the 2 day reply is a deny.
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

My auto-CLI was in August.
Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
My auto-CLI was in August.

Has your statement cut this month?

Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured this might be the case. It will probably be the only CO I keep in my wallet then. It's my only rebuilder card and I'm thankful they gave me a chance. I just didn't know they would always look at me that way, which kind of sucks.

I've seen others have success on that other thread I referred to, and some of those people also had rebuilder cards. I just can't utilize the card very well with a 500 dollar limit.
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.