Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a Capital One CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to get a Capital One CLI

I too started rebuilding with CO.

I was approved for two Platinum cards within a month one SL at $300 and the second at $500

I stuck it out with them for the long haul, needles to say both have now grown to $3500 each. CO is rather conservative. And their 6 month wait for CLI inbetween approvals.

I say hang in their. With time things can change and it can grow.
Message 21 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much spend do you put through your card? That may affect your CLI chances. I am only on my 2nd statement (Closes on Feb. 19th) and I was approved for a CLI of $100 2 weeks ago, and credit steps are still 4 months away. I put $900+ through the card the 1st month tho, and made multiple payments. Maybe if you use it more it will grow pass the $500 limit. Hope this helps a little.

Message 22 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Valhalla,

How long did it take you to grow them? I was really fine with a 2500 limit on it. I wasn't expecting some crazy limit. It's just that I'd read on here being stuck at 500 for like 8 years. That's not acceptable to me.

I assume they are fine with how much I put through the card each month since that was not the apparent reason for my denial. But I'd say probably at least 500, maybe even less now since my BCE and Discover have better rewards. They just aren't accepted everywhere so I need another good rewards card with a decent limit.
Message 23 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

When they were at their low limits, I would put bills through them until they reach their limit. Paydown and re-use. I carried a balance a few times the first year and half by the first year I passed $1100 on one while the second stayed at $700 it wasn’t till the second year that they passed 2200 and then 3500. But as the limit grew I still put the same spend through them and PIF and occasionally carry a balance. I never tried to max the cards out. But by the second year I was approved for better cards. To get CO to a good limit takes patients, I can’t tell you how many times I looked at them and wished they grew much more quicker.

If your spend is in the 500+ range and you PIF or half. Then once your out of the credit steps wait 6months and hit them for a CLI, if nothing try again within a two weeks or a month. I’ve talked to different EOs all of them have said the system decides on the CLI their advise to me at the time was to keep trying every so often.
Message 24 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with everyone that suggested your starter card is bucketed and will never truly grow in comparison to higher tier cards...

I was just asking the same question you are 4 months ago and was fortunate enough to get the same answer you're getting now...

I have a CapOne QS1 starter card too. It started off at $300, then $500, then nadda...

After being informed about buckets & glass cielings, i app'd for the Venture card and got 10k.

My starter card is still $500 today, lol.
Message 25 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some Capital One rebuilder cards grow faster than others. I was approved for the Platinum in 2/2017 for $300, got $100 CLI at 2nd or 3rd month, PC'd to Quicksilver at 3rd or 4th month, CLI's to $750 at 5 months, CLI'd to $2250 at 11 months which was in 1/2018. So I've gone from $300 to $2250 in 11 months, where I sit. I will see what the next 6 months bring.

Message 26 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I legit want to stab cap one with a fork.

Never give me a CLI despite growing 200 points in 12 months other than the laughable credit steps bump.

Refuse to unsecure my secured card.  99 dollars forever in the ether.

Always begging me to "balance transfer" to my 500 and 300 dollar CL cards, lolwut?

Sending me prequaled mailers to refi a car that doesnt even meet the minimum dollar amount they will refi (they require you to have at least 7500 outstanding, and my car loan is under 7k now)

just lel.

Message 27 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
I agree with everyone that suggested your starter card is bucketed and will never truly grow in comparison to higher tier cards...

I was just asking the same question you are 4 months ago and was fortunate enough to get the same answer you're getting now...

I have a CapOne QS1 starter card too. It started off at $300, then $500, then nadda...

After being informed about buckets & glass cielings, i app'd for the Venture card and got 10k.

My starter card is still $500 today, lol.

It can be slow going with starter cards. I have a platinum starter that was turned into a Quicksilver after 5 months. It started at $300, six months later $500, then $750, then $1500, then $2500. Then yesterday another six months and pushed the luv button and $300 to $2800, I’m going slower now lol, it’s ok tho. I’m lower income for one and I only push about $450 a month or so on it. I’ll just keep asking every 6 months and if it tops out around $5000 one day I’ll consider it a bonus. 

Message 28 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

It just blows my mind how my first credit card (according to current credit history anyway, my first run with credit was over 10 years ago) is my smallest one to this day.

Two weeks ago Discover gave me 3500 unsecured with a decent interest rate.... meanwhile cap one secured still sits at 500 (and 99 is held as deposit)

Hell even AMEX approved me, and they have pretty strict requirement for a first card with them.  And that amex is the same size as my year old starter card, but i know that amex is going to grow like crazy over the next 2 years.

Its mind numbing.

Message 29 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! I would be happy pleased if mine grows like yours has/is 😊
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.