Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get aCLI by Discover?

tag
velocity
Established Member

How to get aCLI by Discover?

I just got declined for a CLI by Discover, I paid in full every month, with a 0 balance... can anyone give me suggestions? I know it was just a soft pull, but will it hurt my fico score?

Any help would be appreciated!

Message Edited by velocity on 11-18-2009 06:57 PM
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: How to get aCLI by Discover?

@velocity wrote:

I just got declined for a CLI by Discover, I paid in full every month, with a 0 balance... can anyone give me suggestions? I know it was just a soft pull, but will it hurt my fico score?

Any help would be appreciated!

If it was a soft pull it will have no impact on your FICO score. Discover will not pull a hard without informing you beforehand and they could have processed your request based on the information in their files. Generally, if you don't have a CLI option available through the telephone menus your not going to get one.

Message 2 of 55
velocity
Established Member

Hi there, thanks for the info, I have read many good news of the CLI increase for Discover customers, but it's very sad that I'm not one of them. I have my account for about one and a half year, but they never offer auto CLI. Just wonder if  it is the cause of not having them to earn

1 cent of interest in the past? Should I not paying off my balance each month? My family member has a Discover card too, he recently have a balance of $5000 and they auto cli to $13000.

Message 3 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Without more info on the age of your Discover, the CL, other content on your CR, number of new accounts/inquires, derogs, AAoA and what you stated as income with Discover, it is hard to estimate possible explanations.  Did you recon?  Did you get an explanation for the decline?

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 55
DI
Super Contributor

Discover gives auto increases every 3 months during the first year of opening the card. 
Message Edited by DI on 11-19-2009 07:52 AM
Message 5 of 55
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

DI wrote:
Discover gives auto increases every 3 months during the first year of opening the card

This is not consistent with most Discover cardholders recent experience. Discover rarely gives auto-CLI's, but does present a "Request CLI" option in the telephone menus (Option 5-2) when it is an appropriate time to request a CLI. This normally not occur until 6 months to one year after the account was opened. There have been other, lengthy threads presented here detailing the use of the telephone menu option, which is semi-auto and very easy. The few recent fully auto CLI's Discover has offered are a little bit out of the norm. Also, requesting too many CLI's from Discover in too short a period of time may result in denial, a hard INQ and/or an annotated account.

Message 6 of 55
DI
Super Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

DI wrote:
Discover gives auto increases every 3 months during the first year of opening the card

This is not consistent with most Discover cardholders recent experience. Discover rarely gives auto-CLI's, but does present a "Request CLI" option in the telephone menus (Option 5-2) when it is an appropriate time to request a CLI. This normally not occur until 6 months to one year after the account was opened. There have been other, lengthy threads presented here detailing the use of the telephone menu option, which is semi-auto and very easy. The few recent fully auto CLI's Discover has offered are a little bit out of the norm. Also, requesting too many CLI's from Discover in too short a period of time may result in denial, a hard INQ and/or an annotated account.

I opened my card July '09.   In the welcome mail I received from Discover, they indicated they will increase the line of credit every three months during the first year.  After the first year, so that the card can grow with you, they will increase the limit once per year.    I never got the phone option. It was an auto increase.  I was adivised I will get another CLI within the coming months if I continue to use the card.  Don't forget I'm a Prime cardholder. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by DI on 11-19-2009 08:14 AM
Message Edited by DI on 11-19-2009 08:15 AM
Message 7 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi velocity! Smiley Happy

How frequently are you using your card, and how much of your (current) limit do you typically use and PIF? Are you carrying balances on any other cards?

Message 8 of 55
velocity
Established Member

Hi all, I did have an option in the phone menus for CLI, but I'm so stupid, I choose to talk to the rep. My Discover more has been opened for a year and a half, with $8000 CL. I was asking a $2000 increase, with the reason of purchasing some office supplies. Unfortunately, I got denied. I was told that I will receive an explanation in the mail in about 10 days. I don't use my card often, probably once every 2-3 months and never carry a balance in any of my cards. I have an Amex with a $1500 CLI but I'm scar to use this carrd, my fico dropped about 30 when I spent $500 last time. In addition,  there are too many scary stories about cutting the limits and closing the accounts, I have to put the Amex aside. So for Discover, I was thinking if  they will only do CLI if the account carry balance?  I really don't know how to play the CC game.

Message 9 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

DI wrote:

Gotta agree.  Never seen an automatic CLI every three months.  I'm sure it can happen, but it is not a hard and fast rule.

I had my account for about 14 months without a CLI and then one day while checking my credit reports I saw they raised my limit from $3.5k to $15k.  Astonished?  You bet!  I called to ask if they might not have made a mistake and the CSR told me, "We don't make mistakes." 

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.