cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the most out of Amex BCE?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: How to get the most out of Amex BCE?

The only additional 'benefit' that I receive from the BCE (which I use only for groceries and regret applying for) is an additional 10K in aggregate CL (tho' I haven't requested a CLI yet).

Except when our son visits, our grocery bill doesn't justify the BCP AF.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 11 of 58
wasCB14
Super Contributor

wrote:

The BCE gets you a free membership with ShopRunner,  which gives you free 2 day shipping and free returns at "hundreds of stores". Hey, it's a free perk, amazon makes you pay an annual fee for free 2 day shipping lol.

Also apparently there's something called American Express Presales which seems to have to do with getting tickets to events and what not early, and is only available to Amex card holders, including the BCE.  There's also a thing called Entertainment Access, which looks pretty similar tbh.

And if you're looking to buy a car, there's the American Express Auto Purchasing Program. The long and short of it is it could get you a discount on a new car, but the details are in the BCE terms & conditions.

ShopRunner comes on some MCs now....might just be WMCs or WEMCs, don't recall. Anyway, it's not what it once was as several merchants have added dollar minimums to use it.

There's the usual Amex stuff...good return/purchase protection, dispute resolution, etc.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 58
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

wrote:
Aside from plain grocery, gift cards that code as grocery & easy 3x cli there's not much more to get out of them.

We spend a crap ton of groceries having a toddler & the two of us, so combined with a local stores 5% discount for registering with your student ID and sales/coupons we get anywhere from 8-20+% and that makes it useful despite the stupid redemption process and restrictions.

Initially I thought I'd load gift cards up max my earning rate until I realized the extra % in doing so is arguably trivial at best and not worth the effort or risk of looking like manufactured spend to Amex. My Amex blue is solely used at trader Joe's, Harris Teeter or whatever random grocery store I happen to visit.

6% back for gift cards doesn’t count, its in the terms... i was sad too 😟😟😟

Message 13 of 58
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

BCP and BCE do not give you 6% or 3% on gift cards at grocery stores. 

Message 14 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spend a few hundred on gift cards every year. Buy them at the grocery store I have always received the 6% and the purchase codes as groceries.
Message 15 of 58
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Message 16 of 58
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

BCPBCP

Message 17 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex can't see my receipt, how would they know if it's a gift card or bread I purchased?
Message 18 of 58
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

wrote:
I spend a few hundred on gift cards every year. Buy them at the grocery store I have always received the 6% and the purchase codes as groceries.

That’s odd! I’m going to have to buy a couple App Store gift cards, during one statement and let it cut as the only purchase, check and see if I get the 6%. I seriously couldn’t know how they would know if your purchasing a gift card or jelly and gift cards.

Message 19 of 58
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

wrote:
Amex can't see my receipt, how would they know if it's a gift card or bread I purchased?

Exactly, perhaps we should get a group of people whom would like to test this out during a statement....🤔🤔

Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.