Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate Amex... again.

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: I hate Amex... again.

Sorry to hear it Peas. That sounds very frustrating.

Do you normally PIF your card entirely at the statement date? I normally pay mine when the balance gets over $200 or so. Multiple times a week as to make them not get nervous. 

Did you ever try that? Or was it soley when payment was due?

Here we go again...
Message 11 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

ya i feel ya..i hadent been using my gold card to much..then put a lot of big purchases on it..now i cant spend anymore till i pay it. i see why they are limiting my spending on it though..i will just use it more to show them i can make payments...
Message 12 of 40
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I've made multiple payments, and then other months I just PIF -- always WAY before the due date.

I'm starting to think that dealing w/ Amex is about like trying to get pregnant -- all about timing and even then it's never a sure thing.

(And for the record I'm NOT trying to spawn.)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 13 of 40
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Our Business Charge card is over 2 years old and last month was shocked to be cut off at 8k and was asked when I planned on paying the balance even though the statement had not cut yet.  I was told 8k was my 6 month average so even though last month I charged 12k this month 8k was all that was allowed.

So today I called asking about renewal card, then decided to let them know about my travel next week and stated that I would like to charge at least 10k, but plan on paying current balance before I leave...will this be a problem? I guess she  did a test charge and comes back and says 10k goes through with no problems and that is with current balance (4k) = 14k... WTF why couldn't I clear 8k last month but this month 14k+ is fine.

I have to say I have NEVER been declined at point of sale but they are a little finicky these days with that they will really allow you, my recommendation is just to keep checking in with them when things are going to be any different from normal and then you will have no surprises. 

Message 14 of 40
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

I've made multiple payments, and then other months I just PIF -- always WAY before the due date.

I'm starting to think that dealing w/ Amex is about like trying to get pregnant -- all about timing and even then it's never a sure thing.

(And for the record I'm NOT trying to spawn.)

And don't forget morning sickness...

I'm so sorry to read this. That's nuts. Citi did something similar to me on my Sears MC back in the day, but they were holding a payment, rather than suspending charging privileges. And it was for the same reason: I started using the card more in hopes of cheering them up, and letting them get some $$$ in transaction fees.

It's starting to feel like the old game of Mother, May I? --just ridiculous!

And I'm not paying multiple times per month. There's no need! They always get their money a couple of days before the statement date. If they get antsy at me, it's off to Ye Olde Argyle Resort (the sock drawer).
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 40
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

I believe AMEX is totally broke. No $$$$
Message 16 of 40
davidboca
Contributor

If you'll forgive me.....but,...... all these seem to be horror stories! In my opinion Amex's behaviour is 'Arbitrary and Capricious'  and leaves much, much....yes very much to be desired.

Who needs them! There are plenty of other lenders out there begging for good responsible users.

Amex, we know you're sick, but please get better soon, 'cause we are getting sick and tired of your fanatical head games.

Message Edited by davidboca on 03-18-2009 06:58 PM
Message 17 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

From what I see they closely monitor the spending / payment patterns. On all my accounts I usally PIF every time I see a balance on my accounts. That is almost twice a day I make the payments on my accounts and keep the balance near zero most of the time. I use BOA bill pay and it does not cost me any thing to make the payments, all I do is click the button and payment is made. This approach keeps my balances very low all the time. One day or other we have to pay, in my case I pay it off as and when there is balance on my account.

Cheer up Peas, pay off the balance and slowly increase the spending or make the payments more often on the card instead of waiting for the statment to cut with large balance. That reduces the nervousness to any creditors especially Amex.

Are you really saying that you use your BOA account to pay your AMEX up to two times a day???  That both amazes and confuses me. Why would anyone want a card from a company  that caused them so much angst and required so much work to keep happy??

Irecently apped and received 3 new cards...trust me, known of them was AMEX.

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 03-18-2009 08:23 PM
Message 18 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Peas,

may I ask where you live?

Message 19 of 40
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I have to say I have NEVER been declined at point of sale but they are a little finicky these days with that they will really allow you, my recommendation is just to keep checking in with them when things are going to be any different from normal and then you will have no surprises. 

The first month or so I had my charge card I was nickel and diming on it here and there. Not on purpose, that's just how it worked out. Then I went into TMobile to get a new cell phone. The cost was $176. The TMobile CSR told me when they ran my card, it gave a toll free number. The TMobile CSR called it and was giving store and purchase info, which didn't seem too weird at the time. Then I hear the TMobile CSR say something like, "Okay, I'll check". She then requested my driver's license. She repeated my name, address, and DL number on the phone to Amex. Then she hung up, and the purchase went through. 

After all that, I asked something like "Do you guys not have many Amex cards come through here or something?", and the TMobile CSR replied "All the time...". I called Amex when I got home, and they said the purchase was outside of my spending patterns, but that it wasn't a problem, but next time, could I please call in ahead of time. 

Sorry for the TJ. 

Here we go again...
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.