Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know, I know....

tag
adavis425
Established Contributor

I know, I know....

that I said I was done apping after last weekend's successful mini-spree, but I just couldn't resist the 0.15 per gallon on gas (not to mention the free monthly score) at Wal-Mart with their card. So I apped in-store and got an instant approval for an $800 Walmart-Discover card. My question is this: On the little slip of paper with the info on it, it says "temporary credit line $800.00". Does this mean that it may be higher once the card comes in the mail? I was thinking of reconning for a higher limit. Although I only plan use the card for gas and as always, PIF (insane 22.9% apr), I would love the utilization room. Also, how generous are CLI? HP for CLI? Thanks guys!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: I know, I know....

forget about reconing the CL at the start, they don't do it, keep the card for 4 months, call and request a CLI they are very friendly with CLI's every 4 months, always a SP,  Congrats,  nice card most people start with the store version. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

that I said I was done apping after last weekend's successful mini-spree, but I just couldn't resist the 0.15 per gallon on gas (not to mention the free monthly score) at Wal-Mart with their card. So I apped in-store and got an instant approval for an $800 Walmart-Discover card. My question is this: On the little slip of paper with the info on it, it says "temporary credit line $800.00". Does this mean that it may be higher once the card comes in the mail? I was thinking of reconning for a higher limit. Although I only plan use the card for gas and as always, PIF (insane 22.9% apr), I would love the utilization room. Also, how generous are CLI? HP for CLI? Thanks guys!

that is your CL. As James said, they don't recon. Wait until your 4th stmt cuts and call for a CLI. 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 9
learnin113
Established Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

I apped in store and my slip of paper said 1k for Walmart Discover (I did not expect to get the Discover).  AND by the time i got the card, it was a 1.8K limit.  So you may see a bump when the card arrives.  YMMV.

Message 4 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

My DH apped in store on Saturday. He got the Discover, and his limit on the little slip of paper was $3k for 24 hrs. We were curious as well as to whether this will be his actual limit when the card comes.

Message 5 of 9
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Congrats! And just curious about the discounted gas prices,is that promo available at all gas stations?
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

At all walmart and affiliated gas stations, it says which ones on the site, i think its just one otger brand mentioned. (You can also find it in the thread titled something like "save money on gas with your walmart card" on this board.

You CL may well be higher, they may give you a smaller limit to start with since you dont have the card yet, but I'm not entirely sure.
Message 7 of 9
adavis425
Established Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:
Congrats! And just curious about the discounted gas prices,is that promo available at all gas stations?

CruzImperial here is what I read:

Wal-Mart is offering a discount of 15 cents/gallon all fall long through Dec. 24 at any Wal-Mart gas station if you use a Wal-Mart money card or credit card. (A 10 cent/gallon discount applies if you want to use a gift card instead.)

Taken from here: http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clarkhoward/cars/wal-mart-gas-promotion-runs-through-christmas-eve/n...

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

CONGRATS!!!

They are awesome with CLI's every 4th statement, just call in!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.