cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm an authorized user on an account with a less than desirable history - question???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm an authorized user on an account with a less than desirable history - question???

Will it improve my credit score to ask to be taken off of this credit card as an authorized user?  It increases the amount of money I have available in my credit score, but it was past due about 6 times during the history of the account.  Will it help my FICO to be taken off of it, or am I better off just leaving myself on it?  Thanks for any advice anyone can give! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: I'm an authorized user on an account with a less than desirable history - question???

You want to get yourself taken off asap. You never want to be an AU on a card that has:

- Derogotory information

- Shorter age of account than your average

- High utilization %

It should help your score out a lot if you have no other derogotory info on your report.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm an authorized user on an account with a less than desirable history - question???

@Anonymous wrote:

Will it improve my credit score to ask to be taken off of this credit card as an authorized user?  It increases the amount of money I have available in my credit score, but it was past due about 6 times during the history of the account.  Will it help my FICO to be taken off of it, or am I better off just leaving myself on it?  Thanks for any advice anyone can give! 

Welcome to the forums.

I believe I would have myself taken off this account.

From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thanks a lot for your advice, I'm going to do that today, maybe it will help to improve my score!  Have a great day!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.