Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICBC dual feature

tag
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

ICBC dual feature

So I'd like to confirm earlier data points from this thread about the ICBC unionpay card.

-Used the chip at Walmart and it went through as a regular credit card.

-Local grocery store couldn't read the chip so swiped and it read as a debit card. Even asked if I wanted cashback or not.

The dual credit/debit feature is unusual but interesting part of the card. Can also confirm that debit transactions post almost immediately unlike the credit ones.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: ICBC dual feature

@issac2x wrote:

So I'd like to confirm earlier data points from this thread about the ICBC unionpay card.

-Local grocery store couldn't read the chip so swiped and it read as a debit card. Even asked if I wanted cashback or not.

The dual credit/debit feature is unusual but interesting part of the card. Can also confirm that debit transactions post almost immediately unlike the credit ones.

Great data points... at Walmart where it worked as credit (with the chip), was it processed as Discover?

Also, at the grocery store was the PIN required or could you bypass it? 

Very interesting card...  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

Great data points... at Walmart where it worked as credit (with the chip), was it processed as Discover?

Nope as it went through as ICBC pboccard not as discover.

Yes PIN was required. I just typed it in and didn't try bypassing it.

Message 3 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@issac2x wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

Wow... that's interesting, indeed... Walmart is natively supporing PBOC now!  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Happy

Now if we can only get them to start accepting NFC. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 9
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

Wow... that's interesting, indeed... Walmart is natively supporing PBOC now!  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Happy

Now if we can only get them to start accepting NFC. Smiley Frustrated

Walmart takes everything surprised they don't accept NFC.

Should add one of the restaurants I frequent reads the card as diners.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@issac2x 

Walmart takes everything surprised they don't accept NFC.

I suspect Walmart never will unless the card networks force them to.

Speaking of NFC, it'd be nice if the contactless functionality on that card worked. I don't think anyone's ever been able to tap it in the US as far as I know,.

Message 6 of 9
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous

Speaking of NFC, it'd be nice if the contactless functionality on that card worked. I don't think anyone's ever been able to tap it in the US as far as I know,.

Are you referring to the Quickpass feature? I see the logo on the back of the card but yeah I don't think it'll be available to US customers for a long time.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@issac2x wrote:

@Anonymous

Are you referring to the Quickpass feature? I see the logo on the back of the card but yeah I don't think it'll be available to US customers for a long time.

Yep, Quickpass. The card itself has it IIRC but almost no US merchant has their terminals programmed correctly to handle it (even if Apple Pay and such for Visa/MC/etc. work fine).

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@issac2x wrote:

@Anonymous

Yep, Quickpass. The card itself has it IIRC but almost no US merchant has their terminals programmed correctly to handle it (even if Apple Pay and such for Visa/MC/etc. work fine).

I'm no expert, but I think this is because NFC in the U.S. is expecting EMV encoding and the ICBC card tap-and-pay is transmitting PBOC encoding.  Ironically, if Walmart had NFC enabled I suspect the ICBC card tap-and-pay would work there since their PIN-pads can process PBOC natively.

I also agree, though, that Walmart has way too much interest in their own Walmart Pay to bother with turning on NFC... if/when they do turn it on it likely won't be their own doing.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.