Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHG Changes

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

IHG Changes

So saw an article on DOC recently about how IHG is going to dynamic pricing, etc and basically points are worth notta anymore as some hotels could go for 100k points so organic spend on said card isn't practical anymore.. With that said how do you think it will if at all impact the $49 version of the card for "any hotel" yearly certificate?  This just not make it usable at alot of their hotels or no change, etc?      They annoy the heck out of me with wanting to upgrade me with points but then you are tiered and now points are worthless so even a dumber idea to upgrade, but out of the scope of the question.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: IHG Changes

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

So saw an article on DOC recently about how IHG is going to dynamic pricing, etc and basically points are worth notta anymore as some hotels could go for 100k points so organic spend on said card isn't practical anymore.. With that said how do you think it will if at all impact the $49 version of the card for "any hotel" yearly certificate?  This just not make it usable at alot of their hotels or no change, etc?      They annoy the heck out of me with wanting to upgrade me with points but then you are tiered and now points are worthless so even a dumber idea to upgrade, but out of the scope of the question.  Thoughts?

Around April 2018 they announced a nerf. I think most people got one more renewal night that was uncapped but I think now it's 40k or less.

Not sure if dynamic pricing will change that.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ya just trying to decide if it is worth keeping as 49 isnt a bad AF by any means, but basically usually card is pointless now, but might be worht keeping for free night at 49 af assuming availability exists.  Have had card a few years and just happened to run across that article.   I certainly wouldnt suggest anyone to get the new higher AF card with these changes as sign-up use to be worth what 2-5 nights depending on how many points property was going for now be lucky if you even get 1 night for the sign-up other than anniversary night and regular spend on it would be silly imo

Message 3 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

Hotel points are becoming difficult at times for a good redemptions.

I'm just booking now a one night stay in philly and Marriott downtown is $161 on it's website and on Rockmiles for $169 for 3,000 MR points.

So take 3,169 MR points or 2,012 marriott points and 161 MR points.

Eventhough, I need 13 more nights to plat I'm going the RM route on this stay.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 6
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

I have the original Select card and the Premier card but I think when the annual fees are due I will cancel them. It's hard for me to find hotels to use points on because I stay in areas where the 5% of rooms a hotel needs to held back for reward nights are scooped up instantly. I saw this coming over the last couple of years as it has been increasingly easy to obtain points so the value of them would have to diminish. It's time to move on but I am not sure to who yet.
Message 5 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Noctilum wrote:
I have the original Select card and the Premier card but I think when the annual fees are due I will cancel them. It's hard for me to find hotels to use points on because I stay in areas where the 5% of rooms a hotel needs to held back for reward nights are scooped up instantly. I saw this coming over the last couple of years as it has been increasingly easy to obtain points so the value of them would have to diminish. It's time to move on but I am not sure to who yet.

I've gotten tired of IHG's limited award space. It was really eye-opening when I couldn't get a same-day award room at a 90%+ vacant HIX two years ago.

I'll keep the $49 card for the annual night. I've thought about getting the Premier for longer award stays...but the last time I booked a four-night IHG stay there was no award availability.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.