Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IHG poor room choices

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

IHG poor room choices

I'm not all that familiar with the Chase IHG card  yet... I'm on my second annual free night and getting disappointed with the way the redemption is limited. I'm unable to redeem it for a room with a jacuzzi, for instance, even though those rooms are available. If I'm redeeming my free night, it's only available in a basic economy room of the hotel's choice. That's kind of lame! Maybe it's always been that way, but I thought when I signed up that it meant any room in any IHG property. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Bman70
Established Contributor

Re: IHG poor room choices

There does seem to be some discretion on the part of the hotel staff to give you a nicer room. Last free redemption, the desk clerk upgraded my room to a suite. So maybe I'll try asking the clerk this time. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 2 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

AF is only $49, whatcha expect? Smiley Happy.  Good card for a "free" night for that cheap of AF imo.

Message 3 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

AF is only $49, whatcha expect? Smiley Happy.  Good card for a "free" night for that cheap of AF imo.

Just a basic room. It's a great perk for times an area has peak rates or when you just want to be in the middle of am expensive city.

But just expect a basic room. Rewards Club isn't really a program that offers a lot of meaningful perks and upgrades.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Just a basic room. It's a great perk for times an area has peak rates or when you just want to be in the middle of am expensive city.

But just expect a basic room. Rewards Club isn't really a program that offers a lot of meaningful perks and upgrades.

Bingo have the card for that reason as well.  Well worth AF IMO plus obviously the Sign-up made it all the better, but this card isn't going anywhere for that fee

Message 5 of 6
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Out of the 3 hotel cards I have (Hyatt, Marriott, & IHG) that confer free anniversary night certificates, IHG is by far the most generous. Coincidentally, it also has the lowest annual fee. That being said, I've been able to book $300-$400+ rooms at upper tier properties with my certificate. In fact, the Intercontinental in London is one of my preferred properties to redeem the certificate at; and a random date in June is at $475/night, which I am currently able to use my certificate for.

It should be expected that you will be presented with the base room when you are being offered a value (potentially) many times what you are paying to have the card in the first place. The Intercontinental I referenced would be almost 10x the annual fee. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.