Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inq sensitivity for Chase

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Inq sensitivity for Chase

So I appear to be 6/24 at the moment. In may I will drop down to 4/24 and then in june 2/24. I would like to go for 3 or 4 chase cards total. Two business and two personal. Over what time period would I need to spread these apps out to avoid denials for too many inqs/agressive credit seeking? I have a thick credit file, good scores, have held chase credit cards for years. Likely cards I am considering are ink preferred, united business card, hyatt personal card and united personal card all subject to change depending on the bonuses at the time. Also, i would not be applying for all at the same time but likely one a month. Even though its a few months away I am starting to think about app orders and what my particular needs are etc. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Inq sensitivity for Chase

I would just be really careful. Things are not how they used to be. Chase has been known lately to shut down newly approved accounts if they feel you are apping too frequently, etc. I would spread out the new openings as much as you can, regardless of 5/24. One new account per month with a bank is a lot. I'd probably wait 3 months in between each to be safe because Chase doesn't play around these days.

Message 2 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Id agree with Kdm on this. Slow and Steady , especially if one values their cards with Chase. Not saying closures would happen but why risk it. Id even go as far as saying 1 every 6 months for breathing room?
Message 3 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I agree with Kdm too.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

How is your current spend allocated? Are you running a lot of spend through the Chase cards you have?

And which Chase cards?

Rather than randomizing the four, I would ask which card do you think you will get the most use from?

Are you intending to keep them long term, including AF, or are any viewed as short term?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with them. Chase certainly with shut down a card. They do SPs and if they see "seeking" behavior they will probably not only deny a card but shut down the ones you have with them. It happened to me with Citi Bank, they shut down 5 of my cards from a SP with the latest card I was approved for. I hear Chase is even more strict so I can only imagine what they would do. I say one every 6 months as well or every 4 months minimum.
Message 6 of 16
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I agree with Kdm too.

I agree with your agreement of him lol.  just had a chat with my banker a few weeks ago about this topic, he said card apps across the board are really being scrutinized esp the inks - tons of denials.  he manages a branch in a very affluent area in los angeles, so it can happen to anyone.  there was one week a few years back that I had to get the house re-piped and I got a card on mon and then back again on wed.  did lots of double taps with friends.  those days are gone.  I would wait 6 cuts between apps at a min with them these days

Message 7 of 16
redpat
Senior Contributor

Agree w/ kdm and others.

OP, how many chase cards have you closed post SUB?

This seems to be a factor also from other posts regarding shutdowns.

2/24 might not matter if you closed six cards and received SUBS then renewing the same card for another SUB.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 16
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I concur with what the posts stated. 1 every 6 months to be on the safe side. Chase has definitely cut down and is being quite conservative. I recently had a chat with a banker at my branch and she stated the same thing. With the way the economy is looking and other factors, they are being more conservative and taking time on credit apps.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 16
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@xaximus wrote:
I concur with what the posts stated. 1 every 6 months to be on the safe side. Chase has definitely cut down and is being quite conservative. I recently had a chat with a banker at my branch and she stated the same thing. With the way the economy is looking and other factors, they are being more conservative and taking time on credit apps.

yep, it would seem the party is over or at least has slowed down a lot.  all of my apps w them have been done at the branch, even co-brands.  all instant except the 8th one - 10 if counting apps.  I always had to give the ex pin which was expected but always approved after that.  not the last time.  the ink unlimited immediately went pending with my banker on the phone w lending - they said there is nothing he could do, that the account was locked out whatever that means.  called the stat line a day later, talked to the csr and she said it was in the dreaded shutdown dept and they were reviewing all my accounts.  great.  she said i have to wait 10 days for the decision.  before I called on the 10th day I checked the portal and there it was.  I think I am sticking with 8 max now lol

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.