Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

So, those who have been here a while know I managed somehow to get back in with AMEX back in February of last year.  I've actually managed to get three cards (Clear, Blue Cash Preferred, and NPSL Zync).  Between the Clear and BCP I have a total $9500 CL with AMEX, and have received a CLI to $5000 on the Clear previously, after an initial starting limit of $5000 was slashed to $2600 due to a "system error" a couple months after opening the account.

All this after including AMEX in a Chapter 7 for around $4500 back in May of 2002.  It appeared AMEX had "forgotten" that they were IIB'd, or were willing to look the other way for some reason.  That BK has fallen off, around the same time my BCP hit 6 months old.  Today, I called in for a CLI, shot for 3X the current limit, and was declined.

According to the letter (online) the reason is:

Your American Express account(s) indicates previous delinquencies.

Since getting back on board with AMEX, I have not missed a payment or gone over a credit limit on any of my accounts, and in fact have not done this on any account since the Chapter 7.  I got into the "800" club somehow.  Anyway, I guess their system has finally found the old records of the BK.  They were fine with the new accounts, and fine with a CLI on the Clear, but not on the BCP.

This really is a love-hate relationship with AMEX.  They're so darn fickle!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

Wow that is interesting. First case I have heard of AMEX after letting someone in, get restricted for their past AMEX issues.  Might be worth calling AMEX CLI line directly to get more info.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Wow that is interesting. First case I have heard of AMEX after letting someone in, get restricted for their past AMEX issues.  Might be worth calling AMEX CLI line directly to get more info.

That's a boat I am probably not going to rock...

Message 3 of 10
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

That's a boat I am probably not going to rock...

I think that's wise myself.  You got back in with them (when they possibly could have blacklisted you) and seemed rather thrilled about it (who wouldn't?).  Seems like you got back in after the 10 year reporting cut off (not sure of that, just a theory), AMEX has a good "memory" although it can be "spotty" at times. It may have been why your Clear was CLD'd early on and they called it a system error*, this could be a system error too, but I'd wait a while to ask.  Maybe give it 6 months or so and ask again?

System error being "there's this issue in history but we haven't delved into it to deeply yet, it may or may not effect your account"

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Yeah.  It's not like I've been a bad customer since I came back or anything.  My Clear is at a $5000 CL but has been sock drawered since I got the BCP ($4500 CL) because of the higher rewards, but I've pumped a hell of a lot of money through AMEX and for the most part have PIF'ed each month.

Just out of curiosity, I pulled the reports from the AMEX web site.  Since I got back in and made my first purchase on March 4, 2011, between the three cards I have:

• Processed 1,622 transactions for a total of $31,573.87
  • Averaged 3.53 transactions and $68.79 in spending per day
  • Paid $100 in annual fees
  • Received $75 in referral credits
  • Redeemed $475 in cash rewards
  • Disputed or otherwise requested adjustments or credits for exactly zero transactions
  • Never been over the credit limit
  • Never been late on a payment, even by 1 minute
  • Paid in full almost every month

...or, in other words, I've been a darn good customer!  Sure, I'm not exactly racking up interest, but I'm sure I've earned them a boatload in transaction fees!

Message 5 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Steve, you get backdated on those cards at least?  Well you can try back in 90 days after denial through automated system.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Steve, you get backdated on those cards at least?  Well you can try back in 90 days after denial through automated system.

Yup, shows member since 2000 on all of them.

I'll give it another shot.  Meanwhile, I may see about getting that $5000 CL from the Clear reallocated to the BCP and close out the unused Clear.

Message 7 of 10
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

I'll give it another shot.  Meanwhile, I may see about getting that $5000 CL from the Clear reallocated to the BCP and close out the unused Clear.

Just curious steve,how long till you got in with Amex after your BK and with it still reporting??

Message 8 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@amercnchopz34 wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Just curious steve,how long till you got in with Amex after your BK and with it still reporting??

BK was filed 5/2002.  Reapplied 2/2011.  Yes, BK was still reporting.  IIB'd accounts were no longer on the CR.

Message 9 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Update:  I just went online and applied for a CLI, this time requesting an increase from $4500 to $6000.  That would match my Chase Freedom, and is $1500 less than my PayPal Mastercard.  Instantly approved!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.