cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is US Bank known for low limits, strict guidelines?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is US Bank known for low limits, strict guidelines?

My average credit limit is $7500, and really the cards below this limit are store cards, except for two, my Highest limit is $15000. For some reason, even with perfect payment history for a year, and moderately high usage, US bank will not increase me from the measly SL of $1200. Is US Bank just really strict with their CLIs or something? Or am I just unlucky.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Is US Bank known for low limits, strict guidelines?

Have you applied for a CLI and you were denied or are you saying you haven't applied and you were waiting for them to give you a CLI? For me they send a SP CLI offer every 1.5 - 2 years. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 15
McNugget
Regular Contributor

I don't think the credit card companies find one year of on-time payments to be *that* great.  Could possibly be why you aren't getting that increase.

| Amex BCP | BoA Cash Rewards | Cap1 QS | Cap1 SavorOne | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Citi DC | Citi Simplicity | Discover It Cash Back | JCrew | USB Cash+ | Target (AU) |
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, sorry I didn’t add that. I have tried twice over the last year. I know the one year of history isn’t a whole lot, but most of the time I apply for a card I’m getting between 7.5-10k SLs. Guess it stinks the card I really want to use has such a low limit I have to constantly make payments and wait for my available credit to update.
Message 4 of 15
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

When you asked them for a CLI, was it a HP or SP?
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious to know this as well. If you are looking for a SP, it may be harder. You probably have to sacifice a HP if you want the CLI badly.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say one year of perfect payments, am I right in assuming a year ago you had a late payment? I assume this because your high limits indicate a longer credit history. If that’s the case, having late payment(s) a year ago is relatively recent in credit terms, and you may find you have better luck when the late or lates age beyond two years.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never had a late payment before. Just opened the card a year ago.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never a late on this card or never a late on anything?
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What were your FICO scores when you asked for CLI? Also what was the reason given for the denials?

Perhaps US Bank is sensitive to all the other accounts you have opened relatively recently that you mentioned in your other post.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.