cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to split BTs between multiple cards for scoring purposes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it better to split BTs between multiple cards for scoring purposes?

I will be processing a BT in the next week or so and was wondering if I should put the entire 6k on my citi (7.5k Limit) or if I should put some on my discover (6.2k limit). Citi 0% BT expires Dec 1, 2019 and Discover would expire in June or July next year.

Since I wouldn’t be able to get the utilization down on Citi until next year, I was wondering if it would make more sense to split the BTs between Citi and Discover? I will be making 10$ over minimum while putting the most towards Fidelity which needs to be paid off by December.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it better to split BTs between multiple cards for scoring purposes?

@Anonymous wrote:

I will be processing a BT in the next week or so and was wondering if I should put the entire 6k on my citi (7.5k Limit) or if I should put some on my discover (6.2k limit). Citi 0% BT expires Dec 1, 2019 and Discover would expire in June or July next year.

Since I wouldn’t be able to get the utilization down on Citi until next year, I was wondering if it would make more sense to split the BTs between Citi and Discover? I will be making 10$ over minimum while putting the most towards Fidelity which needs to be paid off by December.

Do you need the highest FICO score any time in the near future? If so, having balances reporting on more than 50% of your cards will be an issue, as it lowers your FICO 08 score a bit. Having over 90% utilization on a card also hurts your score, but no one really knows which has more impact. 

I would throw it on the Citi card, since it sounds like you might need longer to pay it off. Could result in a couple of soft pull CLI's in the amount of time it takes you to throw money down on the balance, helping your utilization faster, and helping your score recover quicker. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I remember a couple of threads saying it's better to split the BT across two cards instead of one BUT make sure that under 50% is still reporting on both cards. This was coming from a few people who said it was a bad idea to nearly max out a brand new card even it was for a BT. I will see if I can find the thread.

Message 3 of 8
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Have a look at the below thread for the utilization on a single card thresholds, and what points it may cost. There is also the issue of maxing out a new card right away that someone else is looking at for you. Could result in AA, I believe.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-Balance-Transfer-Cards/m-p/5259303#M1554667

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't find the thread due to so many BT threads, however correct, the issue of maxing out a brand new card (even for a BT) was in regards to AA due to the concern from not only the lender whose card you maxed out, but your other lenders as well.

The thread kilroy sent is a good one to take a look at since it has some good back-and-forth.

@kilroy8 wrote:

Have a look at the below thread for the utilization on a single card thresholds, and what points it may cost. There is also the issue of maxing out a new card right away that someone else is looking at for you. Could result in AA, I believe.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-Balance-Transfer-Cards/m-p/5259303#M1554667

Message 5 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

There is no way I would let a card report 80% utilization (as it would probably spook ALL of my lenders. I would probably call every lender I had, asking for an increase, so I could keep utilization down, then BT to the one's that made it happen. Keep utilization low... $10 over minimum payment is not kosher on my sheet. Keeps me nervous (and I hate being nervous in the credit game).

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it makes more sense to split it (3600 on Citi, 2400 on Discover) so as not to kill your scores with 80% utilization on a single card

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you need the highest FICO score any time in the near future? If so, having balances reporting on more than 50% of your cards will be an issue, as it lowers your FICO 08 score a bit. Having over 90% utilization on a card also hurts your score, but no one really knows which has more impact. 

I would throw it on the Citi card, since it sounds like you might need longer to pay it off. Could result in a couple of soft pull CLI's in the amount of time it takes you to throw money down on the balance, helping your utilization faster, and helping your score recover quicker. 

I don’t necessarily need the highest score, I was just worried if Citi would possibly AA me for making slightly over the minimum payments on a high utilization card for the first 6 months.

my overall utilization across all cards is only 12% so that’s good there. I can pay it off before the offer expires, I just wouldn’t be able to pay a lot towards it till January.

I think on the safe side I will split the BTs between Citi and Discover since I couldn’t really pay it down till January. Thank you all!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.