cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth keeping Marriot Rewards card?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Is it worth keeping Marriot Rewards card?

I was thinking of just switching cards so i dont get hit with the annual fee but this card has the free anniversary certificate every year. What do you guys think? I rarely use the card but the free night every year upto cat 5 hotels.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Is it worth keeping Marriot Rewards card?

If it has been worth it to you before, it will likely be in the future. The Cat 1-5 should be replaced with an up to 35,000 point room certificate and your earnings for spend will slightly increase in August.
Message 2 of 16
quarius
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
If it has been worth it to you before, it will likely be in the future. The Cat 1-5 should be replaced with an up to 35,000 point room certificate and your earnings for spend will slightly increase in August.

Im coming off my 2 years and would be eligible to reapply for another bonus soon for this card. I also have the SPG card as well with no annual fee. I have until May to decide before new annual fee comes in.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
Message 3 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@quarius wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Im coming off my 2 years and would be eligible to reapply for another bonus soon for this card. I also have the SPG card as well with no annual fee. I have until May to decide before new annual fee comes in.

My understanding is that SPG will get the same up-to-35k renewal night. Is this new 35k cap expected to genuinely improve the quality/location of hotels where the renewal certificate can be used? Or is some catch expected, like major category inflation?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As of right now, 35,000 points is a Category 7 Marriott or a Cat8 with a PointsSaver redemption. (Or enough for a low-level Ritz-Carlton.) The word from Marriott is that more hotels will cost fewer points than more points going forward in August. They’re still putting the various properties into the new Category 1-8, including Ritz-Carlton. For Marriott card holders, that should be a decent boost, and for SPG that’s additional value.
Message 5 of 16
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I a in the same boat. Actually, with all the hotel card changes in the past few months I need to reevaluate mine and my wifes card portfolio to make sure we are getting the best bang for our buck. 

The Marriott card for me will probably stay due to the free night and my high credit limit on it. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 6 of 16
quarius
Regular Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

I a in the same boat. Actually, with all the hotel card changes in the past few months I need to reevaluate mine and my wifes card portfolio to make sure we are getting the best bang for our buck. 

The Marriott card for me will probably stay due to the free night and my high credit limit on it. 

I dont plan on cancelling it because i have a nice limit on it, I just plan on switching to a Freedom or something like that. Then maybe down the road get The Marriot card again with the nice 90k points spend bonus.

Message 7 of 16
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

@quarius wrote:

@Peteyglad wrote:

I dont plan on cancelling it because i have a nice limit on it, I just plan on switching to a Freedom or something like that. Then maybe down the road get The Marriot card again with the nice 90k points spend bonus.

I don't believe you can product change it to a freedom.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 8 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@Peteyglad wrote:

I don't believe you can product change it to a freedom.

Correct. You can't PC the Marriott card.

Message 9 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It can't be changed to one of the core products (Slate, F, FU, CS, CSP, CSR), but in thoery it should be possible to PC to either the reduced AF non-Premier Marriott Rewards card (assuming Chase didn't just stop this, no word on that yet) or upgraded to Ritz-Carlton.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.