cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is opening a Chase Checking account really a way to get your foot in the door?

tag
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Is opening a Chase Checking account really a way to get your foot in the door?

I've read online, I actually think it was on these forums somewhere, that opening a Chase Checking account helps you get your foot in the door with them? More specifically, I saw someone say "Open a checking account with them and then apply for the freedom in a few months". Does having the checking account really improve chances with their cards?

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
tatterz
New Contributor

Re: Is opening a Chase Checking account really a way to get your foot in the door?

Perhaps if you apply at your local branch. If they see that you are in good standing and eager to bank with them, they are probably more opt to lean towards your side and helping you get Freedom. If you apply online, I don't think the automated computer really looks at that or cares but the human element makes a difference.

TU: 730 (Lender Pull) ; EQ: 738 (MyFico)
Barclay's Sallie Mae 5% Mastercard $1k(4/2013)- My main beach
Chase Freedom $3k (3/2013) - My side beach
Amex BCE $6k (3/2013) - When I feel like a boss
Crapital One Platinum $750 (2/2010) - When I feel like a n00b
Message 2 of 14
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Is opening a Chase Checking account really a way to get your foot in the door?

Yes, it helps, or it helped me. 

Message 3 of 14
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

I've read online, I actually think it was on these forums somewhere, that opening a Chase Checking account helps you get your foot in the door with them? More specifically, I saw someone say "Open a checking account with them and then apply for the freedom in a few months". Does having the checking account really improve chances with their cards?

I guess it's YMMV...I have had one for 3 years and was denied the Freedom in October, 2012. I did not apply at the branch though, just online. Next time I'll do it in the branch.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Chase Checking / Savings 4+ years... Applied online.... DENIED!!

*8/10/13
Message 5 of 14
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I don't have a chase checking account. I have two chase cards. It's not necessary

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 6 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I have the Freedom, no banking relationship.

Edit: I did have an auto loan with them. 😏
Message 7 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

in a way......it can. it may not necessarily be a checking account. it can be a savings, CDO, investments, mortage, auto loan, etc.

as for checkings, savings, CDO, it honestly boils down to how much money you have with them. they do look at your average daily balance and you need to have the account for some time, so it's not like you can deposit 100k, apply for the card on the same day, get approved, and withdraw instantly. It helps, but it's not necessary. And if you're just putting a few hundreds to thousands, it probably won't help.

As for mortage / loans etc, you're basically building relationship with Chase. They're making money out of your mortage / auto loan, and at the same time it also gives them more confidence about giving you a card.

So in general if you ask me..........it's indeed a way to get your foot in the door, but only if the amount you're depositting is adequate. Is it necessary though? Definitely not. The posters above have provided a few examples where they got approved w/o any checkings, and denied when they already have accounts with Chase.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 14
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

in a way......it can. it may not necessarily be a checking account. it can be a savings, CDO, investments, mortage, auto loan, etc.

as for checkings, savings, CDO, it honestly boils down to how much money you have with them. they do look at your average daily balance and you need to have the account for some time, so it's not like you can deposit 100k, apply for the card on the same day, get approved, and withdraw instantly. It helps, but it's not necessary. And if you're just putting a few hundreds to thousands, it probably won't help.

As for mortage / loans etc, you're basically building relationship with Chase. They're making money out of your mortage / auto loan, and at the same time it also gives them more confidence about giving you a card.

So in general if you ask me..........it's indeed a way to get your foot in the door, but only if the amount you're depositting is adequate. Is it necessary though? Definitely not. The posters above have provided a few examples where they got approved w/o any checkings, and denied when they already have accounts with Chase.

Yeah the fact that you said "just putting a few hundreds to thousands, probably won't help", I no longer have interest in opening an account. I don't even make a thousand dollars a month haha. But thank you everyone for your input.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 9 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would think It does especially if you have a good bit of $$$ in the bank and you apply in-branch.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.