cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this really AMEX or 3rd Party False Re-Instatement Promises? Please Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this really AMEX or 3rd Party False Re-Instatement Promises? Please Help!

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this fourm and I need help determining if this is offer is real or not.  Back in September 2018, I had lost a ton of contracts and as a result lost my small business.  I ended up defaulting on an $8,600 AMEX bill in which I never had a problem with them before but this time I had zero capital coming in and basically had to start my business all over.   I'm in a postition to either pay back 50% of the balance and settle or I was told I can pay the full amount and get a "no questions asked" re-instatement of my AMEX Platinum card with a limit of $3500 without having my credit pulled.  Considering that I am still working on getting my credit back in shape, there will be no way possible that they would re-instate it if they were to repull my credit.  

When reaching out to AMEX I'm told to call (844) 564-2178 and after calling them, the representitive had made these promises to me regarding the no questions asked re-instatement; however, they have not provided this in writing when I had requested this.  Has anyone delt with this before?  I want to obviously pay this back; however, if I can indeed get this re-instated with no questions asked and get back in good gracies with AMEX I will pay the full amount.  If this is indeed a ploy to get a 3rd party to have me pay the full amount I'd rather settle this debt and move on.   Can someone share their experience or provide insight on this?  Your help is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Is this really AMEX or 3rd Party False Re-Instatement Promises? Please Help!

Amex's collectors have the power to make decisions on accounts. They have indeed, reinstated cards after being made whole. Another option that's offered is the Optima card for revolvers. If it was promised to you, you should get it. If worried about it, record the conversation while letting them know you're doing it 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this really AMEX or 3rd Party False Re-Instatement Promises? Please Help!

Thank you for replying, I was worried since I had read so many horror stories of 3rd party collectors making fake promises that don't hold up by AMEX.

Message 3 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous I googled the phone number you posted and found this old thread regarding a similar question. It seems that there are several cases confirming that their accounts (& even points) were reinstated. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-Reinstatement/td-p/5230661

Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for replying, I was worried since I had read so many horror stories of 3rd party collectors making fake promises that don't hold up by AMEX.

You arent dealing with third party collectors here. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great!  Thanks all for your help!  

Message 6 of 9
vsChance
Valued Member

I actually got directed to that same number and agreed to it. I got a email sent to me after about the reinstatement and points. I just paid off the balance on July 6th and was told i will get a PIF letter in a month. Waiting to see how the reinstatement process goes.

Message 7 of 9
vsChance
Valued Member

@AnonymousHey, just an update for you. I paid off the account on 08.10.20 and today 08.24.20 I get a letter in the mail asking me to call a number to get the account reinstated. Getting my card in 7-10 days. The number and the promise are for sure legit.

Message 8 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That is awesome!   Welcome back.  Really awesome that you're having points reinstated as well.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.