Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Account Card

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Joint Account Card

@PSouz wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm confused, I was under the impression, that an au account would start their relationship ship with amex and then when they get there own card it would back date to when they got their au card.

For example, my girlfriend just got on my bce as a au, I was hoping, when she got her own amex maybe march of 2014 that it would backdate to 3/13 to the
date she got her au, not the date my membership is, which is January 2011, am I wrong?

your correct.

The card will backdate to the date a card was issued in their name.

So if your dad had an account openned in 1960's and you were added in 1990. Then got your first very own American Express in 2000 it WILL backdate to 1990. NOT 1960 =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 21 of 35
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@PSouz wrote:
Plus if you got an amex and added him as an au, when he has good enough credit to get his own amex it will back date and help his AAoA

That is no longer correct.  AMEX doesn't backdate a new individual account to the date they previously became an AU (or "ACM" Additional Card Member) unless it's done by mistake which is rare.

This is wrong, AU's are backdated to the date they were added and became a card member, what's no longer true is people were getting backdated to the primary card holder's member start date.

For instance if your dad got his first card in 1960 and he added you in 1990. What people were doing before is even if you were born in 1970 people were getting accounts backdated to 1960's before they were even born.

You can still get backdated to 1990 which is when you officially became a member as an authorized user.

Message 22 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@PSouz wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm confused, I was under the impression, that an au account would start their relationship ship with amex and then when they get there own card it would back date to when they got their au card.

For example, my girlfriend just got on my bce as a au, I was hoping, when she got her own amex maybe march of 2014 that it would backdate to 3/13 to the
date she got her au, not the date my membership is, which is January 2011, am I wrong?

your correct.

So if your dad had an account openned in 1960's and you were added in 1990. Then got your first very own American Express in 2000 it WILL backdate to 1990. NOT 1960 =)

Don't count on that.  They've changed rules to state an ACM, no matter when they were added, will get their own new individual member since date when they are approved for their own individual account.  However, on occassion (rare now), some people get lucky and get back dated.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 23 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@PSouz wrote:
Plus if you got an amex and added him as an au, when he has good enough credit to get his own amex it will back date and help his AAoA

That is no longer correct.  AMEX doesn't backdate a new individual account to the date they previously became an AU (or "ACM" Additional Card Member) unless it's done by mistake which is rare.

This is wrong, AU's are backdated to the date they were added and became a card member, what's no longer true is people were getting backdated to the primary card holder's member start date.

For instance if your dad got his first card in 1960 and he added you in 1990. What people were doing before is even if you were born in 1970 people were getting accounts backdated to 1960's before they were even born.

You can still get backdated to 1990 which is when you officially became a member as an authorized user.

Have you been down this road? Done it for yourself or an ACM within the last 12 months?

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 24 of 35
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

your correct.

Don't count on that.  They've changed rules to state an ACM, no matter when they were added, will get their own new individual member since date when they are approved for their own individual account.  However, on occassion (rare now), some people get lucky and get back dated.

Unless it's something that was within a few weeks I highly doubt that. I locked in my entire family last year, and just issued them new cards for Starwood (they don't like credit cards lol, but give them for emergencies) and every single one was locked into 2012. Also the dates on the credit reports all reflect my member start date and shows 12 years of credit history =) (2001)

Message 25 of 35
PSouz
Contributor

Thanks distantarray, that's what I thought, makes sense that it wouldn't go back to the main account holders year but getting backdated, but at least you get to back date to when you were a au, I'm hoping my girlfriend will be able to get her own amex in either January of 2014 or 2015 so it will back date to January 2013 even though she just got added as a au this month, I did this with my bce, got the card in January this year and it got backdated to January 2011 even though my zync card was opened April 2011, so it lengthened my AAoA when I opened my BCE

Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Message 26 of 35
PSouz
Contributor

Hopefully someone that has back dated to a au start date can come on this form and confirm that it still works, either way, at least amex reports au so it will help them no matter what

Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Message 27 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@PSouz wrote:

your correct.

Unless it's something that was within a few weeks I highly doubt that. I locked in my entire family last year, and just issued them new cards for Starwood (they don't like credit cards lol, but give them for emergencies) and every single one was locked into 2012. Also the dates on the credit reports all reflect my member start date and shows 12 years of credit history =) (2001)

They will be locked in as an ACM as of the date they became an ACM,  but that ACM since date will not transition to their own new individual account.  If they had an individual account PRIOR to their ACM date, their new account would back date to THAT Member since date, even if it was 10 years prior to who they're under as an ACM.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 28 of 35
distantarray
Established Contributor

JUST recieved my brother's card for last Friday. It was backdated to his AU date. He wanted a hotel card for Ultra music festival and wanted to stay in Starwood.

Message 29 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@PSouz wrote:
Hopefully someone that has back dated to a au start date can come on this form and confirm that it still works, either way, at least amex reports au so it will help them no matter what

I had my mother added as an ACM in early 2011,  THAT account back dated for her to my original Member Since date (they could not find hers, it was around 73).  I later added her as an ACM on my BLUE and on that account she was issued a Member Since date of 2012.  I went rounds with AMEX on that and they would not budge.

That is about as in depth an experience (verses the change in rules over the last couple years) that you will probably find.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.