Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint cc with mom!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint cc with mom!

My mom put me on her capital one card to increase and improve my cs and fico score. Never actually gave me card to use but still showed up on credit report.  Now two years later she has card maxed out and it shows on my cr.   What should I do? I cant close bc its her card, can I asked to be removed from card.  Please help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Joint cc with mom!

Ask her to remove you from the card.  If that doesn't work, dispute the with the CRA's let them know it's not your account.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you joint, or are you a authorized user?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not sure but im assuming authorized bc my mom already had the cc.  There is cc with my name on it- its just filed away and i dont use it. If it were joint i would have filled out an application right and I did not do that.I have a chase and theyve reduced my CL.  Theres a 0 balance but i guess the almost maxed card is affecting credit score.  I hope they will remove me 
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Im not sure but im assuming authorized bc my mom already had the cc.  There is cc with my name on it- its just filed away and i dont use it. If it were joint i would have filled out an application right and I did not do that.I have a chase and theyve reduced my CL.  Theres a 0 balance but i guess the almost maxed card is affecting credit score.  I hope they will remove me 

VERY EASY WAY to find out if you are a "joint" or "Au". If you are a "JOINT" then you are jointly responsible for the account BUT also have full access to it, meaning you can remove someone as an Au user. Call the CC Issuer and see how much access they give you to acct info. You have the right to ask for additional cards, CLI's, etc, BUT a "AU" does not, as they are not contractually liable.

Some cards have though, went after AU's for THEIR CHARGES if the primary cardholder defaults.

Message 5 of 7
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Blue----sorry to read this.  If you pull your credit scores/reports, you will see the account and whether it's classified as a joint account.  Others have discovered that they have been put on accounts (without even signing papers)---so don't trust until you know for sure.

Follow the advice given on the above posts, and read the other threads about building credit and follow that good advice, too.

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your Credit Report will show "Responsibility" and then either say "Joint" or "Authorized User"

If you are only Authorized, then you can dispute the account as "not mine" and you can also request to be removed from the account from CapOne. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.