Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Purchase?

tag
jboy1972
New Contributor

Large Purchase?

Just wanted to ask a question regarding large purchases. I plan on purchasing a imac from apple using my TY Prefered. My CL is 3500,  I will be using a good chunk of that CL(2000).  I dont get paid till the 31st and my daughter needs this like right now...lol 

So that said, my question is, since I only use this card for misc ie, plate lunch, ($20) drugstore misc stuff...max ($50). Would that raise a red flag to deny me at the register? since my spending patterns went bye bye with this purchase, does it raise a fraud alert? 

Im kinda new to this paying with CC thing so any advice? I just dont want to be made a fool in front of my daughter because i got denied at the register... I have my pride..lol

Can I call Citi and give them a FYI on up coming purchases?

Thanks in advance

NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Large Purchase?

I would not worry about it at all. The first purchase I made on my CSP after approval was $3000+ international plane ticket. Made my bonus spending requirement real easy. On my AMEX I've always only used it to purchase gas and groceries then one day I decided to buy a $700 motorcycle helmet. No problems either. My Chase Priority Club first purchase was $900+ motorcycle parts. And my first purchase on my NFL Barclays was $1300 tuition.

Never have I ever had a transaction being declined. It's not even on my mind.

So just use it and don't worry about it!

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 11
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@jboy1972 wrote:

Just wanted to ask a question regarding large purchases. I plan on purchasing a imac from apple using my TY Prefered. My CL is 3500,  I will be using a good chunk of that CL(2000).  I dont get paid till the 31st and my daughter needs this like right now...lol 

So that said, my question is, since I only use this card for misc ie, plate lunch, ($20) drugstore misc stuff...max ($50). Would that raise a red flag to deny me at the register? since my spending patterns went bye bye with this purchase, does it raise a fraud alert? 

Im kinda new to this paying with CC thing so any advice? I just dont want to be made a fool in front of my daughter because i got denied at the register... I have my pride..lol

Can I call Citi and give them a FYI on up coming purchases?

Thanks in advance

It's probably not necessary to call them to let them know you're making the purchase but you sound a lot like me and I DO call in when making out of the ordinary purchases. It has never caused any issues such as a review of my account or anything of the sort, and it's always made me feel better before walking into a store to purchase something for a lot of money using a little piece of plastic. (No one likes rejection! lol)

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 3 of 11
thom02099
Valued Contributor

As the others have stated, probably not necessary.  But optionally, here's something to consider.  If I'm going to make a big purchase and I've not used the card for a while, or it's outside my normal spending pattern, I'll just send the card issuer a secure message via my log on to my account.  That way I've got documentation of the message going outbound and in all previous cases, I've got a "thank you for letting us know, we appreciate the information, there will be no problem with your purchase" type message in response.  Again, you have documentation...just in case. 

I've also used this approach when travelling cross country by car, simply sending a brief itinerary, so they have a heads up about gas purchases in odd locations.  Again, no problems, and documentation. 

Message 4 of 11
jboy1972
New Contributor

Thanks! I will send them a friendly secure message ...just don't want to go to register and...BAM sorry sir ur card has been declined please call card issuer...lol
NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Also, is the model/price just available from Apple?  Otherwise look at vendors on the shopdiscover or Citi mall (such as best buy).  You will get extra points doing this, and avoid any embarrasing declines.  You can probably then pick it up from a store if you don't want to wait for delivery.

Message 6 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

Also, is the model/price just available from Apple?  Otherwise look at vendors on the shopdiscover or Citi mall (such as best buy).  You will get extra points doing this, and avoid any embarrasing declines.  You can probably then pick it up from a store if you don't want to wait for delivery.

I agree with this strategy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 11
jboy1972
New Contributor

Yea I thought of that but ...It's just that I'm not really comfortable with giving my cc over the Internet...a lot of my friends do this, and I hear horror stories when things go bad...(steal your identity, wrong product etc)

Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jboy1972 wrote:
Yea I thought of that but ...It's just that I'm not really comfortable with giving my cc over the Internet...a lot of my friends do this, and I hear horror stories when things go bad...(steal your identity, wrong product etc)

OK, but such issues aren't common, and the important one, identity theft, can happy just as easily at a store, with card cloning etc

And Citi actually makes it safer than most.   On their site, you can set a Virtual Card number, which can be used just at one merchant for a short period of time.   It's not quite perfect, but your actual card number is not transmitted over the internet.

Just be aware that your caution has a price, you are giving up savings (and, IMO, not really increasing safety significantly)

Edit: And "instant approval" suggests you applied for the cards online, which involved your SSN!

Message 9 of 11
jboy1972
New Contributor

Thanks longtime lurker true on the instant approvals...and still to this day I feel a little paranoid...I guess it will pass with time...I saw what my daughter wanted on the best buy site and with a little help from her, I see you can pick up from store..will try this thing out

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.