cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MACY,

tag
Regular Contributor

MACY,

I receive a macy card try to convert it to a macy visa i was told that i had to make a purchase on my macy card first anyone ever heard of this.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: MACY,

Congrats!  I've only heard one had to wait six months to convert to a Visa.  How long have you had the card?
Message 2 of 10
Regular Contributor

about a month
Message 3 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

Inquire about an upgrade to Visa after six months.  Most store cards are changed  from a store card to a visa automatically.  And that can take years.  But I guess it never hurt to ask.
Message 4 of 10
Regular Contributor

thanks
Message 5 of 10
Regular Contributor

your score are nice how long did it take you to get scores like that.
Message 6 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If you attempt to force a conversion of this card to a Macy's Visa you:

1) May get hit with a hard INQ for your efforts and may possibly be denied, and

2) Will definitely be hit with a new account and all the accompanying baggage and also further lowering your AAoA

You are aware that the Visa portion of the account is a separately reporting TL with its own CL and that the APR on this account is dreadful, right? It is also not a very easy card to be approved for.

A better way to go is to maintain your account in a pristine manner and wait until they invite you to accept a Macy's Visa. That's how I got mine. Guaranteed approval (as long as you haven't strayed from the path since your invitation) and no INQ. I would never have app'ed for this card. Not with that APR. At this time it is the card I most regret having gotten - the main reason being having spent my AAoA that way when there are many other great cards out there I could have app'ed for. That said I do use it every month and find it incredibly handy! It is in my everyday card portfolio.

Message 7 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@GIXXER wrote:
your score are nice how long did it take you to get scores like that.

Thanks!  I've been managing credit ever since August 1999.  My credit has seen it's ups and downs. Ever since 2004 my scores has been on the upswing.  I had some miracles to happen for me back in June and July.  The FICO scores  listed are from July and August 2009.  Time sure does fly!  I won't order new scores until August 2010.   

Message 8 of 10
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

If you attempt to force a conversion of this card to a Macy's Visa you:

1) May get hit with a hard INQ for your efforts and may possibly be denied, and

2) Will definitely be hit with a new account and all the accompanying baggage and also further lowering your AAoA

You are aware that the Visa portion of the account is a separately reporting TL with its own CL and that the APR on this account is dreadful, right? It is also not a very easy card to be approved for.

A better way to go is to maintain your account in a pristine manner and wait until they invite you to accept a Macy's Visa. That's how I got mine. Guaranteed approval (as long as you haven't strayed from the path since your invitation) and no INQ. I would never have app'ed for this card. Not with that APR. At this time it is the card I most regret having gotten - the main reason being having spent my AAoA that way when there are many other great cards out there I could have app'ed for. That said I do use it every month and find it incredibly handy! It is in my everyday card portfolio.

You have to use it to improve it. :-)

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 9 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

It goes without saying... usually.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.