cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card vs Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card vs World of Hyatt

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card vs Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card vs World of Hyatt

Do I need Marriot Bonvoy & World of Hyatt cards to book at their hotels or is Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card sufficient to use for both hotels since I am able to transfer my points to both these hotels for road trips. I use Hilton and Choice hotels to stay for my road trips or Hotel app to find better room price. I tend use American Express Green Card to book for Choice Hotels but for Hilton I use American Express Hilton Honors.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card vs Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card vs World of Hyatt

@AyaMai wrote:    Do I need Marriot Bonvoy & World of Hyatt cards to book at their hotels or is Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card sufficient to use for both hotels since I am able to transfer my points to both these hotels for road trips. I use Hilton and Choice hotels to stay for my road trips or Hotel app to find better room price. I tend use American Express Green Card to book for Choice Hotels but for Hilton I use American Express Hilton Honors.

They are both good cards if you stay at Marriott or Hyatt often, or even if you want to earn a "free night" that is normally worth more than the respective $95 AFs. 

However, it's also about how much you travel and whether you want to manage the additional cards.  I'm a little confused about your posting since you say you stay at Hilton and Choice (and use AMEX Green and AMEX Hilton for those purchases.)  So where would your Marriott and Hyatt stays come into play?  And does your travel support that many hotel cards easily?  Plus, you've got the Sapphire Preferred and the AMEX Green, which are both excellent general travel cards even if you're not transferring points to partners. 

The transfer of URs to Hyatt is usually a great value.  Unless you stay often at Hyatt, your Sapphire Preferred's URs would probably work well for this purpose.  With the transfer of URs to Marriott, you may be better off just booking through the travel portal with URs at 1.25 redemption or by buying the room directly with one of your cards to earn points for future travel.  Even at just cash value, URs are often worth more than the value of a Marriott Bonvoy point and you'd be exchanging 1:1.  

If you stay at Marriott properties often, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless is a great card to accelerate Bonvoy points earning for future direct redemptions with Marriott.  Same goes for the World of Hyatt card.  If you don't stay at either chain frequently, I'd probably suggest to just use one of your other cards.   For those occasional Marriott/Hyatt stays, you could accumulate MRs on your Green card to later use on your Hilton/Choice stays.  

In my case, I have both of those Marriott/Hyatt cards but I've decided to focus my hotel points on one chain, Marriott.  Even though I travel often, I'd rather not dilute my points across brands.  So I added the AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, which I recommend as an exceptional card.   Even at the $450 AF, since it has $300 property credits and a 50K point free night which is worth more than the remaining $150, so I feel I will come out ahead no problem.  And it has other great perks that are better than the Bonvoy Boundless.  Now that I have Bonvoy Brilliant and Sapphire Reserve, I may cancel my Bonvoy Boundless and World of Hyatt cards.  Any other hotel spending can just go on my Sapphire Reserve, and as I mentioned earlier, any UR points on there can be transferred to Hyatt at a favorable rate.  The main benefit I would give up with the Hyatt card is Discoverist elite status and some indeterminate value on the difference between my AF and the free night.  Since I don't book a lot of annual rooms at Hyatt, the superior earnings on the Hyatt card for in-hotel spending don't add a tremendous additional value above my Sapphire Reserve. Unless you truly need to stay at a lot of brands based on your travel frequency or patterns, you might find it easier to focus on just one or two hotel chains instead of diversifying into all the major brands. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 4
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Re: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless credit card vs Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card vs World of Hyatt

Thank you for taking the time to give me your detailed opinion about the question I posted. You have given me different prespective, your points are valid.

Message 3 of 4
ElBarrbaro
Valued Member

The CSP and WOH combo for me has been down right awesome!! nothing beats the redemption for hotel rooms at Hyatt properties, and for me personally nothing beats Hyatt. I've had the Marriot card and it took forever to get points for a room. My CSP gives me UR which i transfer over to hyatt for redemption. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.