Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Synchrony Account Closure Thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony closed all of my accounts today

So sorry this happen to you so unexpectedly!

Message 10 of 1,099
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Wow, sorry to hear that. Will be checking back for an update.

I forgot I had applied for the Marvel card a few weeks ago. The letter in the mailbox was it's denial letter dated April 12, 2020:

Not enough balance paid down over time on real estate secured loans  (mortgage is 14 months old have been paying extra $100 a month-- not surprising not much has been paid down on a 30 year loan in 14 months) 

Too many bank cards with a high balance (one card is nearly maxed from balance transfer) 

Not enough balance paid down over time on revolving accounts 

Too many Inquiries 

Score provided was from April 8, 2020 : 645

I always pay more than minimum, no lates in the last 8 years. 

Hopefully I get a letter explaining why. Old Navy Visa says I requested the closure (I did not) when I asked the chat bot online; all other accounts chat but says "sorry, it appears your account is closed".

This is why you diversify. Lender can cause an avalanche. Also why it's good to have CUs. I hope they don't cause domino effect. 🤞 

Message 11 of 1,099
AllZero
Mega Contributor

That is unfortunate. Hope you will find suitable replacement cards with a more tolerant lender.
Message 12 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. That's wild. 

Message 13 of 1,099
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

So sorry this happen to you 😞Synch has slashed 2  of my dh's accounts , but didn't close them outright .

I feel you that's a lot of utilization , I too have about 95K with them and that will certainly come into my play with utilization.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 14 of 1,099
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Rudy1 wrote:

So sorry to hear that this happened! How many card with them? Only see 2 in siggy.  Have you called could it be fraud though the people reporting thing similar to this probably another account closure. That really sucks.

Synchrony cards now closed 

CareCredit $20,000 / $0 / December 17

Lowe's $25,000 / $0 / March 19

Mattress Firm $20,000 / $0 / December 17

JC Penney $10,000 / $0 / April 18

PayPal $3,900 / $2476 / November 19

Amazon $3,500 / $1,280 / July 19

Chevron Visa $2,000 / $0 / February 20

Old Navy Visa  $2,500 / $0 / October 19

First amount was limit before closure, second is balance, date is when it was opened.

Just got notified by Experian of "account change" alert shows Amazon and PayPal as "Account Closed by Grantor"

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 15 of 1,099
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

What a way to start a Friday... was looking at accounts trying to figure out a plan of attack with my reduction in wages.

Every Synchrony account I have is closed! With balance ($3,700 across 2 cards) or without doesn't matter they are all closed.

This will be a loss of $86,900 of available credit, which is going to drive my utilization through the roof!

So far they've left DW's account open. 

Only changes I can think of at the moment that may have played a role in this is the refinance of the wife's car; the new loan is reporting and the old loan is too. Ally said they won't be sending updates to credit bureaus until they are back to work.

I see I have a letter coming today from Synchrony, maybe it will tell me why.

So far they haven't touched my business lines either, who knows how long that will last.

Sorry you had to experience that. I can't stand when banks do that to people who are paying their bills on time. It''s happened to me 3 times now, with Capital One, Barclays, and Bank of America, and it's a very unpleasant experience.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 1,099
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

GE Money Bank balance chased me in 2008 before eventually closing a JC Penney card and Chevron card... perhaps they are anticipating the same? 

Out of foolishness, when they closed Chevron with a $32 balance I refused to pay them until 2016. I learned that's not the way to do it, so my balances will be paid... not sure yet if I want to zero them now to avoid the score hit, or keep the cash to protect future uncertainty. 

I have the funds to zero them out, but would leave me with less than a month of living expenses if my income were to reduce further.

On a bright note, my employer received the Payment Protection (PPP) grant, so I'll receive paychecks for at least 8 weeks (supposedly my normal wages. Would be nice since I've lost about $1,800 a month in take home pay since February).

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 17 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony closed my accounts

I liked the PayPal card but won't miss the other one. No lates and no balances. They cld recently so I guess they decided to go all the way. 

I have a few thousand on credit cards (not on synchrony) but my total credit limits on all cards is 250k so I'm very low utilization 

Just over 10k in lines cut so I still have plenty

Only other isuers to cancel were citi and chase. Us bank/elan, amex, and bank of America have given me increases. The amex was after recon but still a good outcome 

Oh and all scores almost on the mid 700s with my lowest score at 740

Message 18 of 1,099
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Synchrony closed my accounts

That is unfortunate. Hope you will find suitable replacement cards with a more tolerant lender.

Message 19 of 1,099
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.