Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastercard Phone Protection - Jan 2022

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Mastercard Phone Protection - Jan 2022

This has come up several times leading up to the end of the year with various different lenders stating that their Mastercards will no longer carry Phone Protection beginning Jan 2022.

With it being the last day of the year, I wanted to start this as a master thread for those who receive notices from lenders regarding this, to share their information and observations. We aren't sure yet if this is a systemwide cut in phone protection from Mastercard as a whole, or if it only appies to particular lenders. January will provide a lot more information, so feel free to add your input.

I remember CapOne Savor was one of the first who announced this. There were others mentioned in other threads, but I can't personally remember which were affected. This is what led to the worry of whether this might be a systemwide axe from Mastercard.

I am personally interested in Elan Max Cash MC and if they will be affected. So, if any existing cardholders receive any information/notices on this, please let us know.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Mastercard Phone Protection - Jan 2022

My Chase Freedom Flex is the only MC I have that has this feature and I don't use it since my line is part of a family phone plan. As a recent product that advertises this feature, it will be interesting to see if the CFF will be affected by this.

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 2 of 47
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

This has come up several times leading up to the end of the year with various different lenders stating that their Mastercards will no longer carry Phone Protection beginning Jan 2022.

With it being the last day of the year, I wanted to start this as a master thread for those who receive notices from lenders regarding this, to share their information and observations. We aren't sure yet if this is a systemwide cut in phone protection from Mastercard as a whole, or if it only appies to particular lenders. January will provide a lot more information, so feel free to add your input.

I remember CapOne Savor was one of the first who announced this. There were others mentioned in other threads, but I can't personally remember which were affected. This is what led to the worry of whether this might be a systemwide axe from Mastercard.

I am personally interested in Elan Max Cash MC and if they will be affected. So, if any existing cardholders receive any information/notices on this, please let us know.

"Effective 1/1/22 at 12:00am (EDT), Cellular Wireless Telephone Protection will be canceled due to changes to Mastercard insurance benefits program." This is for my REI Mastercard.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 3 of 47
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

Not sure how many people know this, but regardless of your BANKs insurance MASTERCARD has their own insurance program for WORLD and WORLD ELITE card holders as follows: 

Cell phone insurance (available July 1 2019): This benefit covers stolen or damaged cell phones, including scratched screens, when you pay your monthly cell phone bill with your World or World Elite Mastercard. You’ll pay a $50 deductible, but you can receive a maximum of $600 per claim as a World cardholder, and $800 as a World Elite cardholder (no more than $1,000 per year for either one). You must file a claim to be eligible for this benefit. 

so even though my quicksilver doesnt have cell phone protection I was still able to file a claim because I'm a world elite card holder. 

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 4 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@micvite wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Not sure how many people know this, but regardless of your BANKs insurance MASTERCARD has their own insurance program for WORLD and WORLD ELITE card holders as follows: 

Cell phone insurance (available July 1 2019): This benefit covers stolen or damaged cell phones, including scratched screens, when you pay your monthly cell phone bill with your World or World Elite Mastercard. You’ll pay a $50 deductible, but you can receive a maximum of $600 per claim as a World cardholder, and $800 as a World Elite cardholder (no more than $1,000 per year for either one). You must file a claim to be eligible for this benefit. 

so even though my quicksilver doesnt have cell phone protection I was still able to file a claim because I'm a world elite card holder. 

When did you do this?   Others have found, starting ages ago with the Citi DC, that this is an opt-in benefit for the issuer, and more and more issuers have opted out.   The Mastercard site, while showing all these benefits, does state that availability varies by issuer.

Message 5 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

My Nov statement on my Elan Max Cash MC ("from" peoples bank) stated the benefit would end Jan 1 2022 (and someone else confirmed that they got it too on their Max Cash MC from a different FI)

Message 6 of 47
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@micvite wrote:

The cell phone protection you have with your C1 Quicksilver World Elite was actually a benefit provided through Capital One.  The following link is for all Capital One credit card benefits, and you will find the cell phone protection is no longer contained therein.  It is still showing cell phone protection listed as a cardholder benefit for Cap1 Walmart World Elite Mastercard.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/benefits-guide/

Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 7 of 47
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@micvite wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

When did you do this?   Others have found, starting ages ago with the Citi DC, that this is an opt-in benefit for the issuer, and more and more issuers have opted out.   The Mastercard site, while showing all these benefits, does state that availability varies by issuer.

Oof it was a while ago... Honestly the citi card is a weird one, you don't get access to basically any of the "world elite" benefits, for example concierge and travel services, all other WE MC i've seen do for example. so I'm not sure if it's a citi thing, or it's opt in like mentioned before. I suppose best way to find out is pick a card that doesn't have it outlined in their benefits call up the mastercard insurance claim nr and see if they'll process it or tell you it's not a thing.

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 8 of 47
arunkumarmm
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

My Nov statement on my Elan Max Cash MC ("from" peoples bank) stated the benefit would end Jan 1 2022 (and someone else confirmed that they got it too on their Max Cash MC from a different FI)

It was me. My MCP from FNBT also had the same in the Nov statement. It's no longer available from Jan 2022

Message 9 of 47
Remi1
Contributor

My Elan MCP through MidCountry Bank also axed this benefit. Notified on November statement. Which was incredibly disappointing because it was the whole reason I specifically got the MC version of this card and went through this bank, plus I had only just gotten this card at the end of September.

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.