Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Number of AMEX Prequals?

tag
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Max Number of AMEX Prequals?

Does AMEX ever give more than three cards at a time when you check your prequalified offers? I keep getting the same 3 card offers, but only care for one of them. Just wondering if the offers will ever change or if chances are still decent to apply for a card that doesn’t show. I’m still figuring out which card I want, and I won’t apply until at least June, but I don’t want to get my hopes up for any particular card if it’s not even an option.

4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Max Number of AMEX Prequals?

Underwriting is pretty similar for all of them. If you qualify for the cash magnet, you'll qualify for the blue cash everyday.

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If you prequal for 3 cards, celebrateSmiley Happy ive never been prequaled for 1Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:
I’m still figuring out which card I want, and I won’t apply until at least June, but I don’t want to get my hopes up for any particular card if it’s not even an option.

First you should probably decide which game you want to play,  MR or cash back. Your scores look okay for just about all their cards, only drawback is that you're pretty new to Credit. So you'll probbaly get a low limit starter card tnhat matches what you currently have.

The positive side is that Amex is generally easier to grow quickly versus other cards. 

Message 4 of 5
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLEXH25 wrote:
I’m still figuring out which card I want, and I won’t apply until at least June, but I don’t want to get my hopes up for any particular card if it’s not even an option.

First you should probably decide which game you want to play,  MR or cash back. Your scores look okay for just about all their cards, only drawback is that you're pretty new to Credit. So you'll probbaly get a low limit starter card tnhat matches what you currently have.

The positive side is that Amex is generally easier to grow quickly versus other cards. 

Yeah, I still haven't figured out if I want to do MR or cash back. I have two cash back cards, so I'm ok with trying MR, but I have no idea how any of that works (value, what it gets me, etc.). I still have some homework to do.

My QS is $500 (will try a CLI soon), my Discover is $1,000 (will also try a CLI soon), and my DCU is $5,000 (not sure that will budge any time soon), so I'm hoping I can get a higher SL with AMEX than $1,000. Currently, the ED prequal says I'm eligible for up to $6,000. But if I can get 3X CLI after 61 days I'm ok with starting lower. I just don't want to get bucketed (yet again).

I'm also waiting until June because I'll be past my year mark with my oldest account in late May. If they pull EX, then AoOA will be 13 months. Hopefully all of these things will bring my limits up a little and boost my scores to optimize my profile before applying. I know time and waiting always helps more than anything else, but if anyone else has further input for my plan, I welcome your thoughts.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.