Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting 4K Spending on CSR - Question

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Meeting 4K Spending on CSR - Question

@Anonymous wrote:
But wouldn't that also affect your taxes at the end of the year? You now made $4K more money as far as the IRS is concerned.

This just seems too shady and too messy. I'd try to meet the spend in a normal manner.

THIS!!!  ^

OP, bad idea.  You will get the card bonus, then be really sad a year from now to find out you owe about $1,000 in additional income tax. 

To heck with the 1.3% Square fee, think of the IRS and your likely 25% marginal tax bracket! 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 56
redpat
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@xseriox wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Remember you get burned when you play with fire.

This is a no, no here!

I am taking in all advices and opinions here. Thanks for your advice!

MS isn't a discussion of advice on these boards......

While it is MS in the sense that nothing is really being bought, it's not a general method applicable to others (unless xseriox wants to name the generous company so we can all apply!)

Uhh! If it looks like a duck, quakes like a duck then it's a duck.......MS is MS isn't.

Two parties are in Kahoots......

Compare and contrast:    My friend is about to buy a $5K computer.   I buy it on my card.   He gives me the money.    Is that MS?  Two people in cahoots.   Or is the (fairly arbitrary) "someone got something" make it a myfico approved transaction....

No not even close, someone is out 5k it is the same effect as having an AU.  Comon Man............Really!  OP transaction is a CA!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 22 of 56
xseriox

Whoa. Didnt know this was against the rules to post. I am not against spending the required amount at all just wanted input.

Message 23 of 56
redpat
Senior Contributor

@xseriox wrote:

Whoa. Didnt know this was against the rules to post. I am not against spending the required amount at all just wanted input.

Sorry xseriox, it's just a pet peeve of mine and hate to see it going on that's all.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 24 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@xseriox wrote:

Hello and thanks for looking.

I got approved for the CSR and was thinking of the best way to start the 4K spending limit. My company uses Square to charge stuff to the business and they are okay with me charging 4000 and putting it back in my check for that same amount. They wouldnt charge taxes or anything.

I was wondering are there any repurcussions to do this? 

Pretty sure Chase would either catch you early and close your account, or catch you later and charge you back as well as close your account.

Being shady with large financial institutions is not a great idea.

+1000, wanderingbuilder

Message 25 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

This isn't a good idea as other suggested and talking about how tp perform MS on this board which this kinda is are against the forum rules and really frowned upon.  You can google other forums where this is allowed and get input from them.  

+1000 CC

Message 26 of 56
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I woudn't recommend it, Chase has become very savy with rooting out semi shady transactions like this.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 27 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think that tax argument is the reason not to do this (didn't think of that in my first post).   

Message 28 of 56
elim
Senior Contributor

4k / 11 weeks = 363 per week.   easy peasy lemon squeezy

Groceries, gas, lunch, car ins, med ins, cable bill, utilities, cell bill, etc.  Do all those first and square the balance (if needed).

4k goes pretty quick.

Message 29 of 56
elim
Senior Contributor

If you owe any tax bill... that's a churn or two going through payusatax.com etc.

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.