Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercury card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mercury card

I called their CS number asking for CLI, and the CSR had no idea as how to do it.  She then transferred me to a manger who explained to me that "we dont give CLI at this time,  maybe in the future". Thanked her for her time and then walked over to my shredder and inserted their card... I had a $17k CL with Barclay before they sold off. It will help with credit utilization % and thats it.  Anyone elses having these issues with this cut rate issuer?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Mercury card

Wow. Instant reaction! No, I have not dealt with this issuer before, but it's not too often that I see this happen where the lender does not give CLI.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a balance of around $1800 on a $2000 limit with Barclays and paid it off with Mercury the first day the card transferred to them. I’ve been fighting with them for the last 2 months to have them report correctly. And their Customer service keeps saying things like “sometimes it take awhile to show up on the credit after we report it” (really, almost 2 months) and “maybe that’s a mistake with the credit bureaus”. Not to mention they still haven’t closed my online statement for November 4th. So my last statement is from Ocotober 4th.
They’re of no help over there.
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're not the only one who is having issues with them...

I mailed a cashier's check to them on October 9th to payoff my account, check was for a little over $2,300 with the intention of closing the account as soon as the payment posted.  Went to their website and pulled the mailing address off their website (the only address listed on their site by the way).  Kept an eye on my account and continued to see that the payment had not posted. 

About my 6th call back on October 29th they finally allowed me to speak with a Manager, he proceeded to tell me that my cashier's check was sent to the wrong address and they would have to put a request in to get the check from the location it was sent to and the process would take 7-10 days. 

Fast forward, still no payment posted to my account.  Called the back on Monday (11/12) and "No Manager was available to speak with", got the same answer when I called back on Tuesday (11/13) and Wednesday (11/14).  Called them back this morning and got the same answer again...

Called them back this afternoon and amazingly I got to speak with a manager who stated that all payments that are sent to their other address get forwarded to the payment processing location...which means one of the managers I spoke with is wrong and means that you should have had my payment weeks ago.  She proceeds to tell me that a letter was mailed to me on November 5th requesting that I send them a fax of the front and the back of my cashier's check.  The cashier's check that they have in their possesion.  I've already provided to them in my initial conversation with the manager the cashier's check number, the bank it was issued from, and all other information on it from the receipt.  Needless to say I'm more than a little mad.

Long story short...run far far away from Mercury Card and anything to do with these idiots if your Barclays card got sold.  

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was converted to this Mercury Mastercard from Barclay's Arrival.  I had a credit limit of $4,050 and $3,000 on another Barclay's card.  I checked my credit limit yesterday and they increased it to $4.050 on both.   I checked today, now they decreased both to $3,000!  WTH?  I'm calling customer service first thing tomorrow, then shreding both.

Message 5 of 20
IantoJones
Valued Member

What ended up being the reason they lowered both credit limits? Did they have any explanation?

Starting Score 9/13/14: 570
Current Score 08/12/2021: 798
Goal Score 2021: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Folks ... shredding the card does not close the account! You need to officially and formally contact the lender and inform them of your desire to close the account (remember they may have language in their Terms & Conditions of Account Membership on how they close accounts - yes this is all a pain). Otherwise, they will not know and could potentially leave you with an open liability for whatever! Contact the lender. Smiley Mad
Message 7 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Folks ... shredding the card does not close the account! You need to officially and formally contact the lender and inform them of your desire to close the account (remember they may have language in their Terms & Conditions of Account Membership on how they close accounts - yes this is all a pain). Otherwise, they will not know and could potentially leave you with an open liability for whatever! Contact the lender. Smiley Mad

I think at least some of the posters know this, one said they are keeping it open for util, shredding just makes sure that they will not use it for purchases.

That said, personally I would either close a card or sock draw it, not shred it.   Just in case you need to access the CL

Message 8 of 20
FlaDude
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

That said, personally I would either close a card or sock draw it, not shred it.   Just in case you need to access the CL

Same here. I made the mistake of shredding my Sync Sleepnumber card because I knew I'd never need to use it again. When I went to BT the balance to another card I realized I didn't have the full card number. The statements only had a partial number, I called CS and they couldn't give it to me so I ended up having to order a replacement card just to get the full account number to complete the BT.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 9 of 20
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

My wife had a Barclays reward card that was converted.

It was a donor card and the limit was used to add to her AA card.

She kept a $1,000 on it with the hopes that she could pc it to an Uber card someday.

She tried to cancel it during the conversion but Barclay said it was too late so she figured she would wait it out and cancel it later.

Mercury sent her a card and a month later she got an auto CLI to $2,500.

She still has it however she never uses it.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.