cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum usage to keep Chase and CapOne happy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Minimum usage to keep Chase and CapOne happy?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Sigh..lol

You can have a very small reoccurring charge on the Cap One and be just fine OP. There's no minimum amount needed to keep limits. The goal is keeping it active.

I've put a $2 to $3 monthly charge on my Cap one set to autopay for over 3 years now. The limit is still the same as it was when I set up the reoccurring bill.PSX_20200807_050046.jpg

Have you been charging so little for a long time?   A few of us were caught up in CLD action by Cap One for having high limits and low spend (NOT no spend), seems that you missed out!  I went from $35k to $10K even though I was spending in the low hundreds a year

There have been cases where CLDs are happening with spend, even with high scores and low overall utilization, so 2 or 3 transactions a year I don't think will cut it if you want to avoid CLDs. Even my spend doesn't guarantee squat.

Message 31 of 39
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In other news, I found the upgrade link in another thread, checked and it offers him Venture One, Venture, and QuickSilver. Is there any reason at all not to upgrade right now (he would take the QuickSilver)?

Grab the Quicksilver yesterday. No reason not to upgrade.

To compare to the Venture cards, both have redemption restrictions that the QS doesn't have. The VentureOne doesn't earn as much per dollar as the QS. And the Venture's annual fee necessitates spending 19k before breaking even with the QS.

Message 32 of 39
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

IME Chase does not require that much spend to be happy.  

Amex likes high spend and PIF. 

Cap One likes high spend, PIF or not. 

Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Grab the Quicksilver yesterday. No reason not to upgrade.

To compare to the Venture cards, both have redemption restrictions that the QS doesn't have. The VentureOne doesn't earn as much per dollar as the QS. And the Venture's annual fee necessitates spending 19k before breaking even with the QS.

All done. He is now the proud owner of a QuickSilver card (or will be in 7-10 business days). :-) Thanks for the help! Totally painless. Clicked the link and checked the box accepting the conditions.
Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

My heavy usage (14 charges over the last four years averaging $3.01 per charge) is keeping my Cap One Quicksilver alive, but did not prevent a totally undeserved CLD from $16000 to $5000. Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My heavy usage (14 charges over the last four years averaging $3.01 per charge) is keeping my Cap One Quicksilver alive, but did not prevent a totally undeserved CLD from $16000 to $5000. Smiley Very Happy

Apparently my 6K per year spend on the card isn't enough to keep my 27.5K line intact. Got reduced to 10K. I opened the card with 17.5K SL.

It's going around. Cap 1 CLDs are extremely contagious. 

Message 36 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is just boasting about your disposable income "I can spend OVER $10 a year every year for 4 years!"  Please be aware that not everyone has those resources.

Message 37 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is just boasting about your disposable income "I can spend OVER $10 a year every year for 4 years!"  Please be aware that not everyone has those resources.

No, I am not. Otherwise, I would have mention that I also had 12 charges on my Barclay Arrival over the last three years averaging $2.53 per charge.

Message 38 of 39
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I am not. Otherwise, I would have mention that I also had 12 charges on my Barclay Arrival over the last three years averaging $2.53 per charge.

I cannot imagine such opulence... When I grow up, I want to be just like you! 

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.