cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple AmEx Targeted Offers - What's Best?

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Multiple AmEx Targeted Offers - What's Best?

As some of you may have read, I recently received a targeted offer for an AmEx Blue Sky (non-preferred); 30k points ($400 statement credit) after $500 spend within 3 months and 0% APR for 15 months. I pulled the trigger on the offer and was successfully approved for a $10k CL. Thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Rec-d-Targeted-AmEx-Blue-Sky-Offer-Update-APPROVED/td-p...

I have now received two addition targeted offers from AmEx:

1. Premier Rewards Gold Card - 50k signup bonus.
  2. Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card - $72.5k signup bonus.

Do you guys know what those two signup bonuses translate into dollar-wise? Are they good offers, and have there been better ones? My first thought is that the Blue Sky points bonus was 4x as good as the generic offer so was the best relative value. I also wanted to wait until January to open any new AmEx cards to maximize backdating so unless these offers are awesome, I'll probably wait. Thanks.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Multiple AmEx Targeted Offers - What's Best?

Flyertalk has lots of info on targeted offers.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I took a quick look on FlyerTalk and it seems that the PRG card has had 75k signup offers (maybe even 100k) in the past, so I'll sit on that one. My Delta offer appears to be the highest one ever so I'll think about that. I rarely fly Delta though...

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey bribro! That Delta offer is over the top highest offer I have ever seen. Typically- 25K is enough for any US Domestic ticket travel coach class. So that basically translates into 3 free round trip tickets. Upgrades= 5K or less most of the time. Might wanna jump on that offer. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 4 of 7
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

The Delta offer is really good for the Delta card -- normally, only the Citi AA cards offer more miles. Most people value Sky Miles at $0.01/mile. Plastic IQ values them at $0.0092-$0.0125/mile for economy awards:

http://www.plasticiq.com/blog/value-of-delta-skymiles-points/

Generally speaking, the way to maximize value of frequently flyer miles is for international premium cabin seats (first class and business class).

The PRG is good, but not great. Plastic IQ values Membership Rewards points at $0.06-$0.0107/mile:

http://www.plasticiq.com/blog/what-is-the-value-of-american-express-membership-rewards-points/

The value is lowest for cash and cash equivalents (statement credits, traveler's cheques, prepaid cards), and highest on gift cards and transfers to frequent flyer programs.

Message 5 of 7
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

In general I'd value cards with MR points higher than Delta's SkyPesos. Unless you really value the associated card benefits, I'd either take the 50k PRG or wait.

I received a targeted offer for the PRG: 75k points with $1,000 spend in 3 months. I passed on it since no forex fee is a deal-breaker for me. However this just goes to show that there are better offers around. If you're not in a hurry, patience will likely end up netting you a better bonus.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going to sit on the PRG for now and wait for a better offer. I don't want to push it with all my recent inquiries anyway. The Delta offer is tempting, but I haven't flown with them in years and most of my travel is reimbursed anyway so I have less skin in the game. Too bad I can't give someone else this targeted offer.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.