cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Cards Question

Poppa
Frequent Contributor

Multiple Cards Question

Hello all. Are there any cards that only allow 1 per household out there? 

Namely Amex Blue Cash Preferred card and BOA Better Balance Rewards card.

Me and the wife could double team some yearly cashback with those two. 

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 770 - EX 778

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Multiple Cards Question

@Poppa wrote:

Hello all. Are there any cards that only allow 1 per household out there? 

Namely Amex Blue Cash Preferred card and BOA Better Balance Rewards card.

Me and the wife could double team some yearly cashback with those two. 

I am unaware of any household limitations. Credit cards are usually a personal item, therefore the limitation is on a per person basis.

Having said that, there are cards which a person can obtain multiples of all by themselves. The Better Balance Rewards is one such card, and some people have managed to get 5 or 6 BBR cards. Usually by applying for 2 at a time, and having to call for recon on the second card if the system thinks it is a duplicate. Often Bank of America will approve a card that was denied, if you are willing to transfer some of the credit limit from an existing Bank of America card, but that only comes into play if you have a large credit limit with them already. You can also be denied by BofA if their computers decide that you already have too many cards from them based on your recent spending pattern and credit score. So if you intend to try for a lot of BBR cards, you may want to use the first ones you get more than just minimally, until you are able to get the cards you want over time.

I believe that Amex cards are still one per person, though you can get both a Blue Cash Everyday and a Blue Cash Preferred. I dont think they allow multiple credit cards on the same day, though a credit card and a charge card on the same day is possible with Amex.

So to answer your question, yes both you and your spouse should be able to obtain the same cards, and of course afterwards you could make each other authorised users of the others cards if you like.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 3
fordguy89
Valued Contributor

Re: Multiple Cards Question

Chase lets you move UR points between immediate family. Once bonus is long gone and you're keeping the card(s) theres little difference. The BBR example is awesome because bofa is just handing out money there.
Open one, close three. Open one, close three.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.