Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first Visa Signature... guess what it is before you click to read

tag
Carbon44
Contributor

My first Visa Signature... guess what it is before you click to read

If you guessed a Chase Sapphire Preferred... you are CORRECT! 

I will make my story short. I normally go for cashback cards because I tend to use my card for everyday purchases such as gas, groceries, restaurants, etc. I love my Discover More card and I also love my Chase Freedom. I will be planning a vacation next year year for a week and maybe even another mini vacation closer to home, but far enough away. I decided it was time to have a card with some travel benefits, great customer service, and heck I have been gardening for a while now so why not treat myself to a Visa Signature.  I applied online and then called the backdoor number a little while later. I got a very nice person on the phone and he asked me some simple questions and sure enough I was approved for 5k.  I plan on going on vacation at least one a year with mini vacations occuring every now and then throughout the year. I also plan on going overseas in 2 years and I thought building my ultimate reward points would be especially great for that vacation.

My question to everyone especially those of you who have been in this position before:

Do I keep my Chase Freedom open to get 5% in rotating categories and transfer them over to the CSP?

Do I close my Freedom since it has a small CL and hasn't been open very long and just use my Discover for everyday purchases when they have the 5% cashback and then use my CSP for all other purchases to get the 1% since Discover you technically only get .25% back on all other purchases? ( The small limit on the freedom would be allocated to my CSP cl I was told if I decided to close it)

Any other advice would be great

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature), Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover IT, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, American Express Zync
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

Re: My first Visa Signature... guess what it is before you click to read

quick question thats off topic, what were your scores like when you got your Chase Freedom?

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 2 of 31
Carbon44
Contributor

I had some trouble obtaining a Chase Freedom, but found away around it. I first apped for the Chase Amazon card, which I had them reconsider and then was approved. From their I called up because you were getting more rewards with the Freedom on Amazon, then the Amazon card so I PC'd over to the Freedom. I forget if they had to do another HP, but it was well worth it. I would say at the time my Credit Score was 690-710. The biggest factor that held me back was I was too new to credit and had too many inquiries in too short of time from trying to establish credit.  

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa Signature), Citi Dividend World Elite, Discover IT, American Express Blue Cash Everyday, American Express Zync
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having Freedom, Sapphire and a checking account with chase is the best way to accumulate UR points. It is called chase trifica or somthing like that.

now may I ask your income and age of oldest account? I am going to apply for sapphire and need some info

Message 4 of 31
Carbon44
Contributor

I sent you a message BCF with the info you wanted. You are correct about the Freedom, CSP, and chase checking account as the best way, however I do not want to have a checking account with chase. It is just a personal preference, but I appreciate your help.

Message 5 of 31
bribro
Valued Contributor

There is no reason to close your Freedom card. Use it for the 5% categories.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 31
Carbon44
Contributor

I agree, but also disagree. The reason why I do not agree is because my Discover More gives me identical rewards in all of the rotating categories and even sometimes the categories overlap such as the 6 months out of the year that gas is the category. In the battle between the Discover More and Chase Freedom the Discover More wins, because it was my first card, I have a higher limit on it, and I love Discover's customer service. 

Message 7 of 31
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Carbon44 wrote:

I agree, but also disagree. The reason why I do not agree is because my Discover More gives me identical rewards in all of the rotating categories and even sometimes the categories overlap such as the 6 months out of the year that gas is the category. In the battle between the Discover More and Chase Freedom the Discover More wins, because it was my first card, I have a higher limit on it, and I love Discover's customer service. 

You sure? Does Discover give you 5% on restaurants like Freedom does this quarter?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 31
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@bribro wrote:

There is no reason to close your Freedom card. Use it for the 5% categories.

+1

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 9 of 31
Carbon44
Contributor

Discovers Calender: 

Jan-March: Gas + Entertainment

Apr-June: Restaraunts + Movies

May: Grocieries

Jul-Sept: Gas, Theme parks, and movies

Oct-Dec: Holiday Shopping (Department Stores)

Chase Freedoms Calender: 

Jan-March: Gas + Amazon

Apr-June: Groceries + Movies

Jul-Sept: Gas + Restaraunts

Oct-Dec: Khols, bestbuy, Airlines, Hotels

In my particular case I will only use Jan-March and Jul-Sept for Gas because I don't buy tons off amazon and if I do it's more towards the winter. It does come in beneficial in Apr- June because I in April and June I would get 5% on my groceries using my Freedom so $500 *5%= $25 more in cashback then if I didnt have the two. October through december I would just use the Discover Holiday shopping as I don't fly or stay anywhere during these months as family is in state and I  dont shop at Khols or Bestbuy so that eliminates that category for me.  It looks like I would make $25-30 more in cashback if I keep the Freedom open, but my question then is $25-30 worth it. 

Next year's categories can be different and it could be more then $30, but it could also be closer to being the same and be less. One last thing I guess that also is bothering me is I would feel like I have too many cards and then it becomes which cards should I carry in my wallet which I don't like the idea of. If the rewards were significant enough it would be worth it I must say.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.