Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU NAVCHECK question

tag
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

NFCU NAVCHECK question

What is the difference between a personal loan and nav check with NFCU?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NFCU NAVCHECK question

The personal loan will have to be paid back in fixed installments, and the account is usally closed after you pay it off.  The NavCheck acts like a credit card in that the limit is there if you need to use it, and there is a minimum payment which is based on your balance. The NavCheck can be used by itself using the checkbook they send you, or it can be used by intentionally or unintentionally overdrafting your checking account with Navy Federal.  If you are approved for NavCheck, the line of credit will become available again after you pay off existing debts owed on the line.

Kind of like a credit card but you have to write a check instead of swiping.  There are also no swipe fees for the merchant. 

Remember, if you put charges on your NavCheck, the balance on the line is exactly like the balance on a credit card, where it counts against utilization % 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 7
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

Oh ok that makes sense but there is no minimum payment? I dont think i realized what exactly it was that i'd applied for.

Message 3 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

There Is a minimum payment

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 7
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@kerbear1969 wrote:

Oh ok that makes sense but there is no minimum payment? I dont think i realized what exactly it was that i'd applied for.

Why would you apply for it then?

There is a minimum payment...i don't have the exact terms, but its an "either -- or" payment...where you either pay 2% of the amount or $20 whichever is more.....if that makes sense.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 7
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

Well i suppose the reason i applied is because i saw everyone else on here had it LOL, just wanted to be part of the "in" crowd.  I got a little excited that i started app'ing.  It happens sometimes.  I did get approved for 10k which is nice. 

Message 6 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I personally love the NavCheck. I can pay contractors without having to worry about whether they take a credit card.

Also, there is no fee in case you accidentally overdraft.  So, you'll be funded what you need to cover the transaction, and then you just pay that money back to the NavCheck instead of incurring overdraft fees

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.