Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal CU: New Accountholder Data Points

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal CU: New Accountholder Data Points

@WTL1 wrote:

Hmmm. I'm one heck of a lurker here, not all that chatty about my own situation, but your post begs for my DP.

My AoOA is 10 years, AAoA is just below 3 years, 3 accounts opened in 2019. My visa/MC account limits are typically $8K-10K limits currently, I have an Alaska Visa that's $12K 

I joined Navy mid-Oct. Savings and checking, token amounts deposited, no real use since then. Jan 4, got the bug, apped for Platinum Visa online. Instant approval, $15,000 @ 14.49%. TU F8 763. Current DTI was ~6%, plus I have a PL with Lending Club I took out for debt consolodation in July '19, $24K@6.5%APR that was about 45% paid down.

I did 2 BT in Jan and 1 in Feb, highest amount owed on card reached `$8500 in mid Feb, so a little more than 50% of CL

Paid down card with multiple payments totaling $1850 in Jan, $1450 in Feb, $3450 in Mar

Besides the BTs there were minor additional charges, my primary CC is an Airline card (hence the BTs)

And now the meat: at 95/3 via the web page request (not via the mobile app) I requested CLI to $45K (it showed a max allowed request amount of $50K).

There was no immediate response, but about an hour later available credit showed an increase of $8K. The next day the credit line showed a limit of $23K.

And that's it! I'll try again in 6 months. The only other CC I'm interested in is possibly the Flagship, but not really sure I can use the points.

That is very helpful!  Thanks for those data points.  Your experience sounds very very similar to mine.  I had a somewhat higher credit score and older file, so it sounds like those helped me to get the better APR.  But I think my recent app-spree & new accounts may have kept me from getting the higher $15K SL they offered to you.   We both did BT on significant part of our limits and then both got the $8K increase, which is what I've read is typical for the maximum increase they'll normally offer at one time. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 11 of 60
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Cred4All wrote:

There were a few of us here I can recall right off the bat... (not naming names though as they can speak up if they wish)...  me being one of them.  Similiar scenario as you in that I joined Navy one day, apped the next day for the Flagship, and although my income / scores / cards were all in great shape I was given the lowest APR and $10k limit.  Alot of great folks across MyFico, many starting with that $25k limit, but I didn't receive that until I earned it with them the hard way, a few CLI's later... and then my 2nd card finally yielded the $25k amount.  Can't explain what they look at exactly but, still a phenominal CU to be a part of!

Yes they are and worth putting in a little effort to build the relationship with them.  It sounds like my experience is very typical for new account holders but that the limits do loosen up with time and history.  I didn't realize until fairly recently how much they value relationship.  For that matter, I'm learning that most banks value relationship much more than I ever knew.  Opening banking or other credit accounts with most lenders seems to lead to the higher limits over time.  And SLs with a FI you already have history with are typically higher than those with a new FI.  

Business Cards

Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
Message 12 of 60
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

$8K seems to be the CLI cap from what I've seen. Each CLI request can yield $8K but I can't think of many examples where someone got more than that at once. That's still $16K of new credit per year without having to open a new card. If you want to leapfrog, open a new card and ask them to merge the old into the new one. 

Thanks, @Anonymous.  That's what I planned to do eventually.  Open maybe three cards and eventually consolidate the limits back to two cards.  I did (and am continuing to do) something similar with Chase and it works well with them too. 

Business Cards

Message 13 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

$8K seems to be the CLI cap from what I've seen. Each CLI request can yield $8K but I can't think of many examples where someone got more than that at once. That's still $16K of new credit per year without having to open a new card. If you want to leapfrog, open a new card and ask them to merge the old into the new one. 

Thanks, @Anonymous.  That's what I planned to do eventually.  Open maybe three cards and eventually consolidate the limits back to two cards.  I did (and am continuing to do) something similar with Chase and it works well with them too. 

Seems to be very efficient for all of the banks that offer it. I did it twice with Capital One too before they got rid of that feature. 

Message 14 of 60
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Cred4All wrote:

There were a few of us here I can recall right off the bat... (not naming names though as they can speak up if they wish)...  me being one of them.  Similiar scenario as you in that I joined Navy one day, apped the next day for the Flagship, and although my income / scores / cards were all in great shape I was given the lowest APR and $10k limit.  Alot of great folks across MyFico, many starting with that $25k limit, but I didn't receive that until I earned it with them the hard way, a few CLI's later... and then my 2nd card finally yielded the $25k amount.  Can't explain what they look at exactly but, still a phenominal CU to be a part of!

Question for you - are most people (including yourself) getting the NFCU CCs just for the util thus raising their credit scores? I checked their cards and they don't seem to be that special (no offense to anyone, just saying). Looking over your sig IMO you have a lot better cards that what they are offering so I am curious why you got NFCU cards?

I never thought of getting a card just to help with my credit score - but I guess it makes sense to do so if NFCU is willing to give high CL's and make it easy to get multiple cards. I just can't see me getting a card just for the sake of having one and not using it.

Potential Future Cards
Message 15 of 60
WTL1
New Contributor

Utilization is certainly one interest I had, but I opened a Platinum Visa in January because they run a Balance Transfer special for two months, 0% or 1.9% interest for 12 months, no fees.

And, the Platinum and Flagship potentially have quite low APR's.

Message 16 of 60
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@WTL1 wrote:

Utilization is certainly one interest I had, but I opened a Platinum Visa in January because they run a Balance Transfer special for two months, 0% or 1.9% interest for 12 months, no fees.

And, the Platinum and Flagship potentially have quite low APR's.

Logical, as Mr. Spock would say Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 17 of 60
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Well I opened my NFCU account September 2019 and started out with the GR card minimal SL of 1k. Then 91/3 came and I applied for the MR card SL 25k.

After that 91/3 came I appd for the MR card with a SL of 25,000and a CLI for my GR which resulted in a 3X to 3k.

Then for my next 91/3 I applied for the FR card which resulted in a SL of 23,900. And a CLI on my MR that received a 8K increase to 33,000.  

Your file is 100X's better than mine so you should be able to do as you wish in my humble opinion.

My utilization is at 8%. My DTI is 8% as well. Good luck with your journey you should be at max exposure in no time. 

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 18 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Cred4All wrote:

Question for you - are most people (including yourself) getting the NFCU CCs just for the util thus raising their credit scores? I checked their cards and they don't seem to be that special (no offense to anyone, just saying). Looking over your sig IMO you have a lot better cards that what they are offering so I am curious why you got NFCU cards?

I never thought of getting a card just to help with my credit score - but I guess it makes sense to do so if NFCU is willing to give high CL's and make it easy to get multiple cards. I just can't see me getting a card just for the sake of having one and not using it.

NFCU gives low or no interest BTs every year, they have no BT fees, no CA fees, low APRs, excellent customer service, high credit limits, and decent rewards (the More Rewards is actually a very useful card - it takes three of my other cards to match or exceed the rewards scheme of that single card). My two NFCU cards are also my lowest APRs at 7.49% and 11.15% respectively when my average with my store cards taken out is around 19%. NFCU was the first to break $10K for me and now the first to break $15K too. In my mind, there is no reason to skip getting at least one NFCU card. 

Message 19 of 60
elixerin
Established Contributor

saeren making me want to jump in the army rq >.>

FR tho nice offerings for a CU, has a working app which is big nowadays, High SL's low apr's what else can you ask for rite 

its the relationship you are going to get as opposed to the big banks 

Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.