Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy fed question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy fed question

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. 

Have a few questions regarding Navy fed cards. 

I became a NFCU member a while back and applied for a credit card. I got denied and after reading on here decided to get a $500 secured. It graduated pretty quickly to a rewards visa and they bumped me to $2900. Shortly after I applied for the amex rewards and got an instant $5700 approval. Last night I logged in and figured I would try for a CLI on both cards. They bumped the visa to $3300 and the amex to $8200. I'm thinking about calling them and combing the limits onto the visa and closing the amex. I'm only worried as it seems like since the visa was my first card it will continue to grow slowly if I do this. Do you guys that would be the case?  Would it be better to keep the amex?  And if it's better to keep the amex and close the visa could I apply for a visa at a later time?  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy fed question

How long have you had each card?

Also, Combining cards with Navy is hit and miss. Once you combine, that will be considered a CLI to the card if they allow the combination.
Message 2 of 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I became a NFCU member a while back and applied for a credit card. I got denied and after reading on here decided to get a $500 secured. It graduated pretty quickly to a rewards visa and they bumped me to $2900. Shortly after I applied for the amex rewards and got an instant $5700 approval. Last night I logged in and figured I would try for a CLI on both cards. They bumped the visa to $3300 and the amex to $8200. I'm thinking about calling them and combing the limits onto the visa and closing the amex. I'm only worried as it seems like since the visa was my first card it will continue to grow slowly if I do this. Do you guys that would be the case?  Would it be better to keep the amex?  And if it's better to keep the amex and close the visa could I apply for a visa at a later time?  

Current CLIs have been SP with $4,000 max cap.

Something to consider, you are reducing card count for CLI request. Instead of 2 CLIs, you will be reducing it to 1 CLI opportunity.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
How long have you had each card?

Also, Combining cards with Navy is hit and miss. Once you combine, that will be considered a CLI to the card if they allow the combination.

Secured opened 10-17-19 graduated 5/1-20. Amex opened 5-5-20

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Current CLIs have been SP with $4,000 max cap.

Something to consider, you are reducing card count for CLI request. Instead of 2 CLIs, you will be reducing it to 1 CLI opportunity.

Yeah I didn't even think about that. Just seems like they are not being real generous with the visa. And I was wanting to cut down on cards. I got a good amount and it's getting kinda confusing. Remembering due dates and making sure I use them so they don't get closed. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.