Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never got in w Discover

tag
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

Never got in w Discover

Pre or post BK.

I apped twice post BK, in 2009 and 2011. I only apped the 2nd time b/c I was getting deluged with preapprovals by mail.

They cited the derog PR, of course, but they also griped about how many retail/store cards I had!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot do they care about that as long as I pay????

I'll have as many cards of whatever type I wish!!!

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Never got in w Discover

Well alrighty then! Lmao
Message 2 of 16
keithB
Established Contributor

Lima Oscar Lima... I say recon bro, recon.
Message 3 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

Pre or post BK.

I apped twice post BK, in 2009 and 2011. I only apped the 2nd time b/c I was getting deluged with preapprovals by mail.

They cited the derog PR, of course, but they also griped about how many retail/store cards I had!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot do they care about that as long as I pay????

I'll have as many cards of whatever type I wish!!!

Statistical.   According to FICO, number of open accounts correlates somewhat with risk of default.  No doubt it is more refined, and other factors may dominate, but people who appear to be applying for all sorts of cards might not have (again statistically rather than you!) a firm control of their finances.

ETA: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot do they care about that as long as I pay

I've seen this a few times recently.  The concern of the CCC is to PREDICT the risk of default, not wait till it happens.   So e.g. a perfect payment history may not outweigh new danger signs.

Message 4 of 16
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

They're the only creditor that EVER listed that as one of the reasons for denials!!!!

They look down on RETAIL cards!!!!

OH, THE SHAME OF A HAVING A JCPENNEY CARD!!!!!

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***

Message 5 of 16
ddemari
Super Contributor

I too can not get in with Discover. I am in the garden till Aug. 2015 then I am going to app again but Amex, Bank of America, Chase, Barclays, and Capitalone are my friends. Discover wont even offer me the secured card which i no longer want. 

Message 6 of 16
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

I too can not get in with Discover. I am in the garden till Aug. 2015 then I am going to app again but Amex, Bank of America, Chase, Barclays, and Capitalone are my friends. Discover wont even offer me the secured card which i no longer want. 

If you don't mind sharing, what reasons for denial were you given?

And your scores at the time?

I'm over 800 now, and I just know they would still find a reason to say NO!

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***

Message 7 of 16
Scupra
Super Contributor

This could be good info for people to read.. Seems there is some that apply for multiple store cards they will never use and think that a positive TL will do nothing but help..

(This is not directed at anyone personally)

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 16
ddemari
Super Contributor

With an 800 you have to be a for sure approval or if not, call them immediately for recon. My app with discover was a few months ago when I had a bankruptcy still reporting and my EQ was 670. Reason for denial= bankruptcy

At the time, my EQ report had 1% utilization, an old paid charge off from 2010 and 5 inquires. I called for recon and they told me because of bankruptcy which was almost 10 years old they could not appove me (discover never burned because I was never approved). 

I have seen on here so many people who have gotten approved 2-3 yeas out of bankruptcy so it makes no sense to me and must be an case by case situation. 

I was scanning my reports and the last three times I apped for Discover, all EQ pulls except once in 2013 it was TU pull. Im in Illinois and if Discover would pull TU for me, I feel like id get approved. 

Message 9 of 16
ddemari
Super Contributor

Now I want to app for Discover and see what happens LOL. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.