Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fifth-Third 1.67% & 2% Cashback Cards

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

New Fifth-Third 1.67% & 2% Cashback Cards

Hello Friends! 

Not sure if this was already posted somewhere, didn't see it, but looks like 5/3 has removed the Trio Rewards card from their website and replaced it with a new 1.67% catch-all cashback card. That is such a specific number, but i guess when your name is a fraction, it sounds about right. 

I wonder if they are grandfathering our legacy Trio cards (3% dining, 2% gas and groceries), although I never use the thing. I just dont want to be converted to a 1.67% card, my OCD will have an aneurysm  Smiley LOL I do like the sleeker new look though. Their new 2% card is for preferred clients only...

In addition to that, all the credit card pages say "Available exclusively for Fifth Third customers with an eligible checking or savings account." Looks like no more credit card only applicants are welcome at this time

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.10.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.10.59 PM.png

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fifth-Third 1.67% & 2% Cashback Cards

Well, I do find it interesting that 5 divided by 3 yields 1.67!  Good thing they aren't Third-Fifth bank.

Message 2 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Let me put that on my 1.67% card!!! That's some genius boardroom flop ahead. Yeah, I know there's a boatload of 1.5% cards... Just don't see people running for that ummm unique card!!! 😂 😂 

Thanks for sharing that info!!

Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 19
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I do find it interesting that 5 divided by 3 yields 1.67!  Good thing they aren't Third-Fifth bank.

Hahaha good catch on that!

That didn't even cross my mind!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@credit_is_crack wrote:

Hello Friends! 

Not sure if this was already posted somewhere, didn't see it, but looks like 5/3 has removed the Trio Rewards card from their website and replaced it with a new 1.67% catch-all cashback card. That is such a specific number, but i guess when your name is a fraction, it sounds about right. 

I wonder if they are grandfathering our legacy Trio cards (3% dining, 2% gas and groceries), although I never use the thing. I just dont want to be converted to a 1.67% card, my OCD will have an aneurysm  Smiley LOL I do like the sleeker new look though. Their new 2% card is for preferred clients only...

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.10.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.10.59 PM.png

Anything is possible if they are moving toward unifying their product family.  I suppose we'll have to see.

FWIW, only one of my CCs was converted to TRIO (merged into another CC since I already had an active TRIO CC).  Then again, some of their legacy CCs haven't been converted.  I still have their legacy Cash Rewards and SU2C cards 🤷‍♂️ in addition to TRIO.

Message 5 of 19
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hahaha good catch on that!

That didn't even cross my mind!

Same here - never would have noticed that @Anonymous lol

Message 6 of 19
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Let me put that on my 1.67% card!!! That's some genius boardroom flop ahead. Yeah, I know there's a boatload of 1.5% cards... Just don't see people running for that ummm unique card!!! 😂 😂 

Thanks for sharing that info!!

Smiley Happy

Can you imagine the calls they'll get from people saying "my points aren't adding up!" and them having to explain that Smiley Very Happy I wonder if they'll take the round-up or round-down approach. It just sounds messy lol

Message 7 of 19
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

I just noticed that all their cards say have this disclosure -- "Available exclusively for Fifth Third customers with an eligible checking or savings account"

I don't have anything with them but the Trio card. I guess they changed their policy where you must have a banking product first even to be eligible for any of their credit cards. Hopefully this only applies to new applicants, but they could always circle back to existing credit card only customers and force a banking product on them, which would be pretty aggressive for a 1.67% return rate

Message 8 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@credit_is_crack wrote:

I just noticed that all their cards say have this disclosure -- "Available exclusively for Fifth Third customers with an eligible checking or savings account"

I don't have anything with them but the Trio card. I guess they changed their policy where you must have a banking product first even to be eligible for any of their credit cards. Hopefully this only applies to new applicants, but they could always circle back to existing credit card only customers and force a banking product on them, which would be pretty aggressive for a 1.67% return rate

The policy changed and it now applies to all applicants, even if you're an existing 5/3 CC customer.  IIRC, checking or savings account needs to be open for 90 days. 

Message 9 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Well i guess it beats the QuintSmiley Wink😁

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.