Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the mid 600s

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

New to the mid 600s

So I recently had my only judgment and CA removed. This brought my score up to 644. Then I attacked my CC util. I have an unsecured charterone/citizens bank card $500 limit, and a secured PNC bank card also $500.

I had these maxed out until today, so when they update fico sim has me between 666-706.

I want to close the secured card and just deal with unsecured. Ive only had cards through my employer so I was wondering what are some good cards for scores in that range?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to the mid 600s

Definitely a Discover More card.  I had low 600's and high util and a collection/charge off on my report and still got approved for 1k

Message 2 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

dont close the secured card untill your next credit card is fully reporting and perhaps longer if you don't have at least 2x cards with 6 months of age many prime cards will deny you. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 18
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I agree.  Don't close the secured until you get other cards reporting.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 18
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I dont think I could get a discover card. They are the ones that had the judgment against me. Yes, it was a credit card from 5 years ago and has been paid, but I still think they would decline me due to that Smiley Sad

Any others? Im trying to get higher limits because the way I use my cards is to put everything on my cards for the month and then pay it off, but Im having to do that every week with such low limits. Not a huge deal, but I was thinking about applying for something, but had no idea where to start. I know Im not in the same boat to have to apply for first premier cards anymore, but Im also not ready for chase slate either lol Just trying to find something decent in my range.

Thanks for the advice, I will hold off on closing it for a while. Its only $3 a month for the card, so its not a big deal.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 18
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

AMEX Zync  (need 6months + experience on at least 2 credit cards) 

GE Based cards (CLI's every 4 months) 

- Walmart   (free fico monthly with paperless statements)

- Amazon   ( 0% interest for 6 months on purchases over $150) 

- JC Penny 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 18
sweetseptember79
Established Member

If I were you, I would definitely get a store card. Any store card through GEMB would be a good way to go. Old Navy, Gap, Walmart are just to name a few. Your credit history is probably short, so don't close the secured cards what ever you do. The age of your accounts is very important to your FICO score. Leave them at zero and use them from time to time and pay in full to show responsible spending with those banks. Since you have established credit with PNC and Citizens bank, why not try to get one of their unsecured cards?

I wouldn't go for the Discover card just yet. Discover likes to see a pristine credit history with responsible use of your credit lines. It is very important to establish long standing relationships with a bank. I opened one account with GEMB and now have several accounts with them. My Old Navy matured into a Visa over a couple of years. I started out with a $300 CL and now have a $4000 CL with them. I recently got a Discover more card and they were very thorough in the approval process, but the perks on the card are great. Good Luck with establishing your credit! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

www.whogavemecredit.com

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 18
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

i know we talked about citizens. im not sure if its the fact they gave me a card but i apped for that on jun 26 and got it with a 7-10 day letter. 

but from what i heard they give you the 500 limit no matter what as long as your info is correct. 

i apped for ae,walmart, and chase freedom and got instantly approved for all. 

so go for the chase freedom it has great rewards. the deal for 100 cash back ive already put on 300 in the first two weeks. 

paying it off next friday before it reports. 

(says my payment date is 10-6-12) crazy people think im going to let it sit there that long. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 18
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Go for the Chase Freedom nice prime card to have.  Wal Mart Discover is easier to get if declined for chase.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.