Did you mean: 

Nfcu or usaa?

tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: Nfcu or usaa?

@Thorin wrote:

@HindSight_20_20 wrote:

+10000!!! I have my auto insurance through USAA and it can't be beat by anyone!!!!...

Loll I thought the same thing until that little green 'gecko' gave me the same coverage dollar for dollar and saved $146.00 over 6 months...

CC's are 'okay' - nothing to jump up and down for joy about, but still good to have.

other than that, USAA is in my top 3 banks to do business with especially since I'm a 'droidiac' their android app is world class!

Wow, how did they manage that?  My cost for two cars was $55/month.  With one car now, it's down to $30/month.

Are any of those cars brand new? i'm paying quite a bit more than either of you. Has USAA allways charged a lot less than the competition? I wonder how much would the insurance cost % wise for a person with partial membership? I'm with Geico at the moment.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 21 of 35
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Thorin wrote:

@HindSight_20_20 wrote:

+10000!!! I have my auto insurance through USAA and it can't be beat by anyone!!!!...

Loll I thought the same thing until that little green 'gecko' gave me the same coverage dollar for dollar and saved $146.00 over 6 months...

CC's are 'okay' - nothing to jump up and down for joy about, but still good to have.

other than that, USAA is in my top 3 banks to do business with especially since I'm a 'droidiac' their android app is world class!

Wow, how did they manage that?  My cost for two cars was $55/month.  With one car now, it's down to $30/month.

Are any of those cars brand new? i'm paying quite a bit more than either of you. Has USAA always charged a lot less than the competition? I wonder how much would the insurance cost % wise for a person with partial membership? I'm with Geico at the moment.

I have (two vehicles) both paid off but still carrying full coverage on both.  '99 Jeep and 01' civic, spotless driving record for 22years running - I was quite surprised my self.  "oh' yeah I am a current Government Employee also so I received a discount there as well.

I'm not sure as to how else they were able to beat USAA because I was with them (USAA) for about 5 years before GEICO sent me a 'bet we can beat that' letter in the mail.  I called the number, gave them the ref# on the letter, gave them my USAA policy coverage and they came back with 'we just saved you $146.00 over 6 months'.  I said 'Yes you did - where do I sign'!  Smiley Wink

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 22 of 35
coachmiff
Regular Contributor

As you can see from my sig they both have been good to me!

Navy Siggy Cash Rewards 25K , Navy plat visa 25k,navy go 25k, Navy Check 15K, , USAA Am Exp 18K, USAA MC Rate Advantage 18K, Discover IT 18.5K, PayPal Extras MC 7.5K, Chase Military Star MC 2.5K, Military Star 8.05k, Wallmart discover 7.5k, Amex bce 25k,Boa cash rewards25k, southwest chase 4k, nasa cr 30k,nasa rew 5k,barc rewards 25k=279k+ scores 750 across the board
Message 23 of 35
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

And as a NFCU member you get a discount from Geico. I'm actually switiching everything over from USAA (Auto & Renters) to Geico (w/ the NFCU discount) tomorrow. I also don't like USAA for a few other reasons. They screwed me on an auto claim and I had to fight tooth and nail for a 500 CLI on my AMEX, after 4 years as a full member including a spotless payment history, Direct Deposit, 4 CC's, 2 CDs, a brokerage account and multiple insurance products;  while NFCU gave me 25K after being with them for a day. USAA is a good bank but after a month with NFCU I'm happy I'm a member there now.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 24 of 35
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

And as a NFCU member you get a discount from Geico. I'm actually switiching everything over from USAA (Auto & Renters) to Geico (w/ the NFCU discount) tomorrow. I also don't like USAA for a few other reasons. They screwed me on an auto claim and I had to fight tooth and nail for a 500 CLI on my AMEX, after 4 years as a full member including a spotless payment history, Direct Deposit, 4 CC's, 2 CDs, a brokerage account and multiple insurance products;  while NFCU gave me 25K after being with them for a day. USAA is a good bank but after a month with NFCU I'm happy I'm a member there now.

NFCU has been ver good to me as well...   I did set up a brokerage at USAA though, for some stock I want to purchase.  No maintenance fee, and small fee for a trade. Works for me since I'll only be doing one trade per year.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 25 of 35
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

NFCU has been ver good to me as well...   I did set up a brokerage at USAA though, for some stock I want to purchase.  No maintenance fee, and small fee for a trade. Works for me since I'll only be doing one trade per year.

I agree that's the only thing I'm leaving with them (besides my credit cards).  You can't really beat their trading set-up. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 26 of 35
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

I love them both for different things.  Credit cards and savings through NFCU, checking and life insurance through USAA.  My car insurance is through GEICO because I have had it with them for eight years (when my car was brand new) and it's cheaper than anyone else can offer.

Message 27 of 35
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

I have had USAA for over 7 years and NFCU for over 6 months. I recently applied for a CC from each of them. NFCU gave me 10K and USAA gave me $1k and their APR was higher. However, I like USAA's new website layout and widgets. I can look at all my accounts, track spending, savings, etc. in one screen. Just like someone mentioned, USAA's rewards are tiered and can get above 1% rewards if you spend over a certain amount and their rewards do not expire. NFCU's nRewards are 1% and I believe they expire in 4 years. YMMV but I hope this info will help your decison.

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 28 of 35
CS800
Super Contributor

I have both but I favor NFCU.

- NFCU is less stringent i.e you can get in with low scores

- NFCU offers better CL than USAA

- I have two car loans; one with NFCU  and one with USAA. My NFCU rate is better

- You can't beat the Visa/LOC combo with NFCU with one pull

- USAA insurance is pretty decent compared to other types of auto insurance

- Both have great customer service

- If you're a full USAA member, you quality for more procuts that they offer

Bad part is that it's not easy to get into NFCU unlike USAA; but you're already in.

I would go more towards NFCU. Just my 2 cents

Message 29 of 35
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Does NFCU do HPs for membership apps?  I'm not a member and I just want savings and checking with them, will they HP me?

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.