Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nfcu usage

tag
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Nfcu usage

Does high usage really count with nfcu
I am planing to apply for second card with navy wen I reach the 90 days with Nfcu my first card
The more I use the card and pay in full will help more for a better approval?
Besides the other factors
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Nfcu usage

I don't think high usage nets an easier second approval. I use my cards for little things and never had issues. It depends on your scores and what card you started out with limit wise. 

Just make sure you wait 91 days and for your third statement to cut, they are very strict  in regards to that.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

I don't think high usage nets an easier second approval. I use my cards for little things and never had issues. It depends on your scores and what card you started out with limit wise. 

Just make sure you wait 91 days and for your third statement to cut, they are very strict  in regards to that.

+1

Totally agree. Heavy usage won't necessarily step things up for chances on another NFCU approval. Regular usage-PIF- Yes

However i just discovered, whether right or wrong, that they may just look for that when it comes to a 3rd card.

Only last week i was denied straight out for card #3 with them. However Monday received a SP CLI on one of my pair of existing cards bringing it to 25K. They had no hesitation on that, it was instant.

Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CM7, usage has very little affect on determining whether you get a third card or not imo / ime . I achieved 3 cards on low income/ usage. Its just possible each of us has our certain ceiling with them and that determines whether you get 2 or 3 cards.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU definitely likes to be your primary which is why they issue such large limits (and why they are also tolerant of you actually using your limits to levels other lenders would freak out and take AA for) but I don’t think they really get too miffed when you don’t use them a lot either. 

Message 5 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Navy should drop the bomb and give us a 2.5% card!. Id cancel all my accounts and just use one credit card lol😁
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Navy should drop the bomb and give us a 2.5% card!. Id cancel all my accounts and just use one credit card lol😁

If they would make the cashRewards a 2% card, I would throw a lot of spend at them. They would basically get anything that wasn’t utilities or Amazon. 

Message 7 of 13
Jccflat
Established Contributor

I am new to credit My card started with $9700
It’s my only card and I think I’ll stick to This till I get to the maximum exposure with nfcu
Like someone mentioned they like to be the primary card ?

I do have 2 authorized user cards one is a nfcu with a 25k doesn’t carry a balance
I hope nfcu doesn’t count it in the exposure since it’s a AU

My current Fico 8 is 765
2 inq
Income 98000
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU doesn’t count AUs in maximum exposure and their idea of comfortable exposure is much higher than the big banks anyway. I’m at $15,200 on $18K income right now and there’s apparently still room to grow some more. Probably about $2K more. 

They are FAR more likely to give most a second card than a huge CLI though so be aware of that. 

Message 9 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Now wouldn't that shake up all the other lenders. 

I wished they would offer 12-month 0% interest like Disco. Then they would be my daily driver. That's what I would love to see Smiley Wink

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.